Distributor Adjusting Spanner

Hello All,

This weekend sees the first Hillclimb at Doune for my recently acquired TR7. The suspension has been sorted plus a few little other mods, but I would like to try to advance the timing a little so I guess TR7 owners know the problem. I understand that a 7/16" spanner can be modified to do the job, does anyone have a sketch or a photograph of what is required.

Thanks for any  assistance.

Cliff

32.JPG

Do not waste your time with the spanner pic. I made an open ended cranked one today from 2 mm bar, took me an hour and was a complete waste of time. You cannot do the job with an open ended because it will foul the dist body and even if ground down you would be lucky to get it on and turn it.

I did the job today with a 5 inch ring spanner very difficult to gain access but managed, ideally needs to be shorter no more than 4 inches.

Turned the dist body ACW and set timing to 9 BTDC as it was 24 but not road tested yet. Hope this helps

• 2 months later...

Here's a picture from the Repair Operations Manual. I've managed in the past with a short 11mm ring spanner but I will make something like this, possibly with a longer top.

DSC00635.JPG

Hi Keith and 'Roughground',

Thanks for your replies, I managed to sort out a spanner for adjusting the distributor, basically an 11mm ring shortened with an increase in the angle of the ring. I am fitting Webers which a actually allows more access to the distributor nuts.

Cheers,

Cliff

• 9 months later...
18 hours ago, Emrys Parry said:

I made my own version of the Ops Manual spanner, details and dimensions from a post on face book. Thankfully it works !!!

Distributor spanner..jpg

Please could you post the dimensions you used so those that come later will benefit?

42 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I've got one like that for fitting piston engine cylinders on a DC4 engine.

Not be a lot of call for that these days I suppose ;)

Stuart.

1 minute ago, stuart said:

Not be a lot of call for that these days I suppose ;)

Stuart.

I sold a lot of my other DC4 engine (P&W Wasp etc) tools to a man who restores ‘war birds’   He was more than chuffed at being able to get the unique tools for certain engine repair tasks.    Bit like finding an old Triumph dealer with a cupboard full of Churchill tools.

Just now, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Bit like finding an old Triumph dealer with a cupboard full of Churchill tools.

Im lucky that mine came from Dave Gleed.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2024 at 1:04 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Please could you post the dimensions you used so those that come later will benefit?

I cut off the end of a spare 7/16 ring spanner plus a length of 10mm steel rod (WICKES) and welded the rod to the spanner (scarfe joint) then measured the clearance distance from dizzy bolt to clear obstructions approx 40mm from bend to end of spanner, bent at rt angle , the vertical  is approx 300mm before the leverage bend. The top handle is now covered with a rubber hose as protection.