1962 Monaco Grand Prix : HD

Upscaled footage of the '62 Grand Prix at Monaco, taken from a film that wasn't really about racing cars at all. 

"Flying Clipper: Mediterranean Holiday" is a 1962 documentary following the various adventures of the crew of the Flying Clipper, a five-masted tall ship, manned by a young Swedish crew. During their travels, the sailors visit Egypt, Turkey, Spain, and Monaco during the Grand Prix.

The laid back narration of Burl Ives is an interesting choice for such dramatic pictures. But nevertheless, the footage is incredible.

The race that year would be won by Bruce McLaren, driving a Cooper Climax.

For the sailing fans among us, some extra footage from the same movie.

Cheers, Deggers

Great films.
Wouldn’t it be great if the original ST films of Rallying/ Jabbeke etc through the 50’s could be upscaled? Just a thought, how, who, what do you need etc?

Iain

Nice idea Iain!

There are currently some incredible software packages available that can produce some truly extraordinary results.

Unsurprisingly, Artificial Intelligence is playing a critical role within the genre. And one of the leading companies in the area of 'upscaling', is Topaz Labs: offering software packages for Mac and PC.

"Topaz Video AI focuses solely on completing a few video enhancement tasks really well: de-interlacing, upscaling, and motion interpolation."

Here's a brief introduction from filmmaker, Jaques Crafford.

For further info, a link to the Topaz main website :  Topaz Video AI

Hope it proves useful.  :)

Cheers, 

Deggers

Edited by Deggers

That's some of the BEST vintage footage I've ever seen of Monaco.  It's amazing -- but for the Armco and Tecpro barriers -- how little the Principality has changed over the last sixty years.

14 hours ago, Don H. said:

That's some of the BEST vintage footage I've ever seen of Monaco.  It's amazing -- but for the Armco and Tecpro barriers -- how little the Principality has changed over the last sixty years.

And, perhaps, the people standing trackside with no barriers at all!

Stunning footage indeed.

Great films. Love the way the convertible car is going round at the same time as the racers are practicing?!

5 hours ago, Hamish said:

Love the way the convertible car is going round at the same time . . .

An E-Type maybe?

I'd wager the cameraman dined out on that story for years.

(I know I would!)  :)

etype1.thumb.jpg.f2f1acc5e84dd91b027ab7a9cdb21188.jpg

Here's another short example of AI upscaling, with an explanation of the process from the restorer.

Perhaps not quite perfect, and the faux AI colorisation is a little off. But still very impressive nonetheless, given the quality the original footage.

Deggers

6 minutes ago, Deggers said:

An E-Type maybe?

I'd wager the cameraman dined out on that story for years.

(I know I would!)  :)

etype1.thumb.jpg.f2f1acc5e84dd91b027ab7a9cdb21188.jpg

Mercedes-Benz 300SL camera car, to my eyes, @Deggers.

Oops . . . double post.

(That'll teach me for trying to upload form my phone)

A slightly slower, and more up to date lap of the track for comparison. Taken some weeks before the event.

The tunnel is certainly a lot longer than it was  . . .

Deggers

Edited by Deggers