Cibie / Valeo headlights

It would seem that 7inch Cibie headlamps need to be put on the 'endangered species' list as I cannot find a replacement at any of the usual suppliers.

If anyone can prove me wrong, point me to a supplier please.

We know that the usual Wipac alternative is very poor in comparison, is there any other brand worth considering?

Jerry

I’d probably consider Hella units   I have the Cibie units you are seeking fitted to my car.

No idea if they are a direct fitment, but these are described as RHD in their classic car headlamp secr, so should fit and dip correctly unlike most modern soft roaders and SUV with their dazzle or blind function lamps.

https://www.bowerspartsonline.co.uk/brands/hella/hella-7-inch-halogen-h4-flat-lens-headlight-headlamp-1l6002395261

These people claim to sell the Valero Cibie units   I would check that they were UK suitable   I search by using Land Rover Defender as the vehicle.

https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/headlight/valeo/082441/    For RHD

https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/headlight/valeo/082440/   For LHD

I have had a pair of these on the TR but replaced them as they looked awfully out of period.       The lighting output was stunning though.   Sold them to a TR7 owner, his view was that they could only be seen when the lamps were on at night…..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Headlights-Pair-Land-Rover-Defender-90-110-RHD-LHD-E-MARKED-7-Inch-H4/133473329496?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=245820&meid=fe3722042ccc4e58b0a1dc75d3bd7c38&pid=101195&rk=5&rkt=12&sd=303597743154&itm=133473329496&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuWithRevOptLambda85KnnRecallV1AndV6ItemNrtInQueryAndCassiniVisualRanker&brand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851&amdata=cksum:133473329496fe3722042ccc4e58b0a1dc75d3bd7c38|enc:AQAHAAABYPc3I89H0AQHQHV/OlsMl254OIifOGpM+BEVlem++9zqkiF5v06l0lZvmgOKI85oqIQoVeqzX5anW3c2z8VQG1s2EXcLUko1slSTch6KegK80F7vxNzjrgLeB2hzasxLLLRj3fua8wzNNPX1cA/7iqfA0MGDC7/ZnXYAojXqD0Ct57RXrCsxEgQUIXF+L3OzoWVyXq6Ip1bUR3EiW9bR8XcHisUAuhpZqQFGO3ApHayBFFoCwWl4V8yGZYFmXNCelhBgPAOSwWlKvvqBzS9TuboznuUoDK+eTOYbELM5Fy1uBLofSaaluDNTndg2Ej1CY97ewegcd/YwH3ATTuGWB47KcT6IGtcLOJTdtBrHRPLEe8ffrkWZ3h9bA8BF90j6l/Gxf+28Nyo1GBcs/dT6svS5GYStN+qJjkCLu3H7vntUWPf59P12eUIQxdOPgBUfR0A2/cEriPyIt1Kobmpq4zA=|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675&pageci=8a9db13a-2dea-4cd6-b415-b2b2b5cd4a18&redirect=mobile

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I believe we've discussed in another thread that the tooling has worn out for the Cibiés and they ended production rather than retool.  

The 7" Hellas are excellent.  I had a set on my Toyota pickup for many years, and they're on the shelf now.  Note that the Hellas have a nearly flat front face to the lens, which depending on the car, may or may not look period.  For my sidescreen car, I've never felt like mounting them.

My TR runs Lucas-branded H4 headlamps purchased from these guys 10+ years ago.  They've been fine, although TBH my TR doesn't get often driven in conditions that tax the headlamps.  Rogers Motors offers a RHD version, so I'm sure they're available in the UK someplace.

https://jollyrogersmotors.com/store/p/423-Lucas-H4-Headlamp-Pair-New.html
DSCN4770.JPG

I have the Hellas with LED lamps on my TR3. The pattern and cut off are as good as the LEDs on my modern Skoda. 
As mentioned above the glass is flatter than other period units but I find that less offensive than the sidewall pattern on my TTrac tyres :D

These have a pilot light hole which I use as a daylight running/sidelight .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174410899635?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gt2bXHAaQNG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=GeP3KodIRnW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by Drewmotty

Thanks all. Given the scarcity of Cibie (and from the on-line pictures, the glass pattern has changed over the years so I would probably need a pair) I'll get a pair of the Hellas. The flatter lens I don't think will bother me.

Must have had a stone crack a lens as I hooned it up the M5 yesterday in the 5. The Cibies have stood up for a good twenty years so can't complain.

I also use the pilot light as a DLR but I bet the fitting is different.

Jerry

I think that the flat(er) glass will be less obvious on a TR 5 than it is on a side screen car.
My Hellas came with the pilot light holder so just a spade to crimp into the original wiring. 

Does anyone know a source of replacement bulbs for rectangular Cibie driving lights? Apparently they've been on my car since forever.

I was considering replacing the bulbs with LEDs and took one of mine on our 73 TR6 and now it doesn't work. Searching online extensively I've only found either cheapish Chinese units or round ones.

If you know a replacement bulb source, or unit I'd love to know about them.

The bulb is a funny looking mount on a little circuit board:

40D9D53E-54FA-4205-A260-115CC8EDC466_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.222bfe28c795584defccf81e478a05cc.jpeg

Edited by Steve-B
8 hours ago, Steve-B said:

Does anyone know a source of replacement bulbs for rectangular Cibie driving lights? Apparently they've been on my car since forever.

I was considering replacing the bulbs with LEDs and took one of mine on our 73 TR6 and now it doesn't work. Searching online extensively I've only found either cheapish Chinese units or round ones.

If you know a replacement bulb source, or unit I'd love to know about them.

The bulb is a funny looking mount on a little circuit board:

40D9D53E-54FA-4205-A260-115CC8EDC466_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.222bfe28c795584defccf81e478a05cc.jpeg

It is a H2 bulb

h2d.jpg

Edited by stu50uk
spelling
8 hours ago, Steve-B said:

...The bulb is a funny looking mount on a little circuit board:..

You must mean a small piece of stamped sheet metal, right @Steve-B?  A circuit board would be quite unexpected, and we can't see anything like that in your photograph.

Thanks Rob, Don and Bob -- replacement bulbs now ordered. Really appreciate your help :D

So the Hella units arrived.

I'm curious as to how one is expected to change the pilot (sidelight) bulb. I change this to an LED and use as as a daylight running light, however the bulb holder appears to be part of the H4 mounting permanently crimped on to the bowl. I have queried this with the seller and they have gone back to ask Hella in Gerrmany and they have gone back to the product manager. Anyone else figured this out?

Jerry

Hella (3).jpg

Looks to me that the wire clip " hinges" at the bottom of the photo. The " free" ends at the top of the bulb should be " squeezed " together , to allow the 

clip to be swung forwards , away from the bulb.

It seems to me that a lot of wire retaining clips have a slight variation in operation. Designed to exercise "  the little grey cells " , either that or drive you mad

one of the two.

Bob

You misunderstand Bob, it was not the main H4 bulb fitting.

These units have an internal pilot or sidelight bulb (the brown circular object at about 4 o'clock in the photo). It was the removal of this where I was being a numpty.

Anyway, all fitted - as feared the pilot light had different fittings so a little soldering to do. I'll take it out in the dark later and see what the light output and cutoff is like.

Jerry

Just to round this off, the Hella units have very good main beam output and the dip beam has sharply defined cut-off. I needed to adjust the aim up a little, I think they are a good replacement.

Jerry