Armstrong Lever Arm Dampers-is there a source for parts

Hi all

I'm refilling my rear dampers with fresh 15wt oil as the old is like runny grey ditchwater, and when taking apart there is no 'O' ring on the valve block and no washer on the 7/8" nut, which I think should be there.

Also need a new BA screw for the cover which shouldn't be a problem, and gasket IF available but can re-sue the old one.

Anyone know a source of spares for these? or even the size of the 'O' ring please?

Regards

Kevin

2 hours ago, DaveB66 said:

Hi Kevin

You could give Vintage and Classic Engineering (https://www.vandcengineering.co.uk) a ring on 07544 596014, they recondition all sorts of lever arm shock absorbers.

Dave

Thanks everyone for the replies, and Dave for the recommendation.

I spoke to a helpful guy at C and V Engineering (Ian) on the above number. He can supply all the parts needed like ‘O’ ring, gaskets, screws for the cover etc, or recondition your original Armstrong units.

He warns against using the new dampers from the usuals as the components are just not as good as the Armstrong OEM, so rebuild if you can.

He looked at an A35 recently set up for racing which did one hour of track time before pulling off. When he checked the new dampers, the con rod holes had already opened up 1mm! 

Also advised to take top cover off, drain and flush with paraffin, and refill with fresh hydraulic oil fairly regularly. He commented that most folk don’t appreciate how hydraulic oil degrades, ,becomes watery and sludgy which renders your dampers ineffective over time. 

I noticed on a run recently in 0/-1 degree Celsius temperatures how much more effective the damping was on the back end, likely due to the oil thickening up in the cold weather I suspect.

Kevin

1 hour ago, tim hunt said:

That's a blow John!

Tim

Tim - If you decide not to try and recondition yours, I've some spare rebuilt units which are 20% uprated and done by V & C Engineering  -  have taken over Stevson's lever arm side and I've been very impressed by them

Cheers Rich

41 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Tim - If you decide not to try and recondition yours, I've some spare rebuilt units which are 20% uprated and done by V & C Engineering  -  have taken over Stevson's lever arm side and I've been very impressed by them

Cheers Rich

Not my issue Rich, Kevin's, I have Spax conversion. I was just lamenting the disappearance of Stevsons after so long. It is at least good to know that at least the lever arm rebuilding activity has been taken over.

Tim

18 minutes ago, tim hunt said:

Not my issue Rich, Kevin's, I have Spax conversion. I was just lamenting the disappearance of Stevsons after so long. It is at least good to know that at least the lever arm rebuilding activity has been taken over.

Tim

See my above post as to Styevsons current activity.

Stuart.

2 minutes ago, stuart said:

See my above post as to Stevsons current activity.

Stuart.

Sorry Stuart, I missed your previous post, thanks.

Tim

24 minutes ago, tim hunt said:

Tim

Sorry Tim and Kevin for a brain fade moment!

Cheers Rich