New Hood Purchase and Fitting.

Hi All,

so as this project comes near to completion, we are thinking about a new hood purchase and fitting.

I've read through a number of posts, but still asking,

a) recommendations for a supplier, and

b) any tips to aid fitting, especially bothered about temperatures in teh garage Jan/Feb and if we fit soon, will it ever look correct in the summer?

John.

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Hi All,

so as this project comes near to completion, we are thinking about a new hood purchase and fitting.

I've read through a number of posts, but still asking,

a) recommendations for a supplier, and

b) any tips to aid fitting, especially bothered about temperatures in teh garage Jan/Feb and if we fit soon, will it ever look correct in the summer?

John.

I got my hood from Don Hoods - I think they have a good reputation and you avoid the middle man.

Yes - ideally you need a warm environment so its stretches more easily.

Darren

I always buy mine from Coventry hood and Tonneau https://coventry-hood-tonneau.business.site/

Using a fan heater sat pointing upwards between the seats, lay the hood over the erected frame and allow to warm through for at least half an hour (adjust time scale depending on how far North you are or how cold it is ;)) then it will fit easier

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I use dons hoods slow to supply but really good kit.

I fitted one from Don Hoods.

I went for vinyl having had vinyl and mohair on cars in the past.

Mohair looks nice but less stretch for self fitting. And if I bogged it up it was less money down the pan! Also vinyl dries quicker and I really drive with the roof down so a quick wipe and down it goes. Folded it is less bulky if you have bags in the back. 

Which lasts longer isn’t clear.  Mohair fades and shrinks eventually. Vinyl was the original figment.

Do it on a warm day possibly with a fan heater if it’s cooler.