travel in France and "clean zones"

James - I think your single answer to Peter's two questions is somewhat confusing !

Do you mean: Classics are Exempt, and hence they don't need a Pass ?

Ian Cornish

The rules for the French classic cars, is,  if they have a Collection Carte Gris, the log book, they can use the zones any time, collection cars with a normal Carte Gris are not allowed, but its not clear how foreign cars are concerned yet. Best to look at the Critair site.

John

The only thing I would add to this conversation is - if like me you have an imported car from USA then the log book on mine begins in 1990 when it arrived back in UK. It is marked as historic and exempt on the registration document but in order to avoid any issues with over enthusiastic police in France I got my car FIVA registered to prove its history from 1965. Maybe a bit over the top but might be useful. I also have the Heritage certificate from Gaydon which shows when it was built and exported to USA.

As far as I am aware classic (historic or old timer) cars are exempt across the EU and in the UK. The Critair site I find confusing at best.

Keith

Here in Freiburg / Germany we live 60 km away from Straßburg/Strasbourg en Alsace. As far as I know historic cars from outside France are not yet allowed to enter these zone(s) at the moment. I hope the French will work this out quickly, as Germany did with the German Umweltzonen.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:37 AM, keith1948 said:

The only thing I would add to this conversation is - if like me you have an imported car from USA then the log book on mine begins in 1990 when it arrived back in UK. It is marked as historic and exempt on the registration document but in order to avoid any issues with over enthusiastic police in France I got my car FIVA registered to prove its history from 1965. Maybe a bit over the top but might be useful. I also have the Heritage certificate from Gaydon which shows when it was built and exported to USA.

As far as I am aware classic (historic or old timer) cars are exempt across the EU and in the UK. The Critair site I find confusing at best.

Keith

Keith, FWIW my car was a US import but only after being first delivered to a serving USAF individual in Germany.  Initially DVLA issued the V5 with the date of import to the USA as the date of manufacture but after I wrote to them with evidence of its actual date of manufacture they issued an updated V5.  It might be worth giving it a try and writing to them.

Rgds Ian

It might be an idea for someone within the register management to contact the ffve in France to clarify the position for foreign registered historic vehicles, most of the affected zones have made an allowance for French registered vehicles de collection and I imagine that foreign registered historic vehicles should benefit from the derogation but I can’t find it written in black and white anywhere. 
there is talk of a special exemption sticker for historic vehicles but I can’t find how to apply for one.

https://www.ffve.org/zones-a-faibles-emissions-zfe

cheers

Alan

Yes, a lot of talk and little action. I don’t believe for one minute that a furrin registered car will be stopped, let alone prosecuted.

A quirk of French legislation is that my 1959 3A has a normal French log book. It is thus obliged to be tested every 2 years, like any vehicule over 4 years old - of which, incidentally, I heartily approve. In addition it will theoretically not be exempt from any of this anti-pollution nonsense, when it finally comes into force.

A look at Alan’s link will show just what a mess this legislation is. Politicians trying to score green points from their electorate.

james

3 hours ago, james christie said:

Yes, a lot of talk and little action. I don’t believe for one minute that a furrin registered car will be stopped, let alone prosecuted.

A quirk of French legislation is that my 1959 3A has a normal French log book. It is thus obliged to be tested every 2 years, like any vehicule over 4 years old - of which, incidentally, I heartily approve. In addition it will theoretically not be exempt from any of this anti-pollution nonsense, when it finally comes into force.

A look at Alan’s link will show just what a mess this legislation is. Politicians trying to score green points from their electorate.

james

My 3a is also in carte grise normal by choice James, not wanting restrictions on how and when I use it, bit stuffed with ZFE but don’t drive in Paris and think it’s unlikely I will ever be stopped if I go to Bordeaux 

Alan

It is far from clear anywhere as not only are there national legislators jumping on the bandwagon but local chaps as well.

As a principle, FIVA and all its participants have done a great job of persuading most entities to give exemptions to classic vehicles over 30 years of age. However, it is an ever changing beast so there is not a definitive answer. Take proof of manufacture or registration with you just in case in the very unlikely event of you getting stopped or questioned. You will know far more about the exemption than any PC, Gendarme or Carabinieri. Just assert the claim of an exemption, wave you arms and be assertive.

Do not try to buy a CritAir sticker of similar, is my advise.

I needed to drive into Birmingham recently for 3 days. In the Skoda it would have cost £24 in ULEZ charges but the TR6 was free, awesome, went in the 6.

Mick