Engine leaks oil...

4 hours ago, mleadbeater said:

ps are you contemplating swapping the thrust bearings, good time to check float and maybe replace?

Do you mean the thrust washers for the horizontal play of the crankshaft? 

While in there undo and inspect the connecting rod (big end) bearings.  Renew if looking brassy.   Check as you can the main bearings too.    The oil pump can be stripped and inspected for tolerance/wear as per the service manual.    That is an early type cast iron bodied oil pump so the wear may be less compared to the later all aluminium type with the round bulb oil strainer pick up gauze.  As viewed in this video.    The two pumps are interchangeable as complete assemblies.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
2 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

While in there undo and inspect the connecting rod (big end) bearings.  Renew if looking brassy.   Check as you can the main bearings too.    The oil pump can be stripped and inspected for tolerance/wear as per the service manual.    That is an early type cast iron bodied oil pump so the wear may be less compared to the later all aluminium type with the round bulb oil strainer pick up gauze.

I think I am too scared for that. Otherwise, the engine ran perfectly, just some oil drops on the floor.

20 minutes ago, Casar66 said:

I think I am too scared for that. Otherwise, the engine ran perfectly, just some oil drops on the floor.

While you have the sump off checking the engine bearings would be worthwhile for an engine you say has done 50 k.   

Posted (edited)

Yes, you're certainly right. But I've never tried my hand at things like that before. Not that I wouldn't trust myself to do the work. But I just don't have the experience to judge anything. And I can't ask anyone with more experience to join me, who likes to lie down on the concrete floor and crawl under a car that's jacked up 30 cm.

Edited by Casar66
Posted (edited)

Where do I get the info? Here in the forum?

EDIT: found something at youtube. My conclusion: will not touch the bearings. Under the current circumstances with no lift, no experience it is better for my mental health. I will measure the horizontal play of the crankshaft. If I need thrust washers I will ask an expert I know. Then he can have a look at bearings as well. 

Edited by Casar66

The measuring will be no problem, I guess. Hope that the result is a good one.

My current problem seems to be a silly one: the sump is tight again, nothing is dripping out of the clearly identified crack (I'm testing it with soapy water instead of oil).

another question:

let's suppose the measuring says too much play and I need new thrust washers. To change them the manual says:

9. Remove the two bolts securing the rear main bearing
cap to the crankcase, and withdraw the cap and lower
shell.

An expert hier ein Germany says that you never use a shell again after withdrawing it, the manual not. So what is right?

Does your expert give any reason why?  Personally, I don’t see any problem of replacing the shell back to the place  it came from.

Maybe if stretch bolts were used, they are only used once,  but usually they are used on newer engines, more often for cylinder head bolts.

If you examine the threads of the bolts removed, looking for any deformation due to stretching, you may want to fit new ones.

Again, try a Google search on this topic, “ big end bolt replacement “ for example.

Mike

"Maybe if stretch bolts were used, they are only used once, "

Sometimes correct but it depends on the bolt used. If they are ARP they likely will be torqued 4 or 5 times before they even get in the stretch range which retains the torque used. !

Mick Richards

7 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

"Maybe if stretch bolts were used, they are only used once, "

Sometimes correct but it depends on the bolt used. If they are ARP they likely will be torqued 4 or 5 times before they even get in the stretch range which retains the torque used. !

Mick Richards

Unless they have been over torqued and gone past their stretch allowance….then they are bin jobs.   Use a stretch measurement gauge if in doubt.

12 hours ago, Casar66 said:

I do not want to change the bolts, I mean just the lower shell half. 

I think the bolts should be fine and if your bearings aren’t showing obvious wear and your oil pressure was good they can probably be reused.  You could plasti-gauge it to verify clearance if you like but you’re probably going to be fine..  after all, if you hadn’t had an oil leak you wouldn’t be worrying about this to begin with…!  (No disrespect intended!  I know what it’s like getting into a potential tin of worms; it’s hard to know when to stop…!)

Edited by charlie74

Yes, you - or better - the worms got me. Hopefully I will be able to do the float measuring next week and everything is fine as it should be. 

ARP bolts can be recognized. But very likely, the bolts will be original which is totally fine. ARP bolts are mostly used at the head. 
if the main bearing cap sits fit, you can re-install it with bearing in place again. No need for further measurements. 
Removing all caps to inspect the bearings (one by one) is a normal procedure. 

I do not worry about the bolts, thanks.

Which of the crankshaft bearings is the most heavily loaded, in case I get up the nerve to open one?

You can only remove 2nd, 3rd and 4th cap. In this case, start with the easiest one. If that goes well and the bearing looks good, you may not need to do the others. I personally would however. 

If you do take more than one off, do them one at a time and make sure they go back on in the same orientation.  Do NOT mix them up…!

• 2 weeks later...

The sump is tight, the old seal is gone, the surfaces are clean. So I'm ready to put the sump back in place. But: there is the crank end float play to measure. Due a (my) very unintelligent setup is is nearly impossible for me to move the crankshaft with a iron or big screwdriver from above. So I tried it from below. I have not that much room and a more or less uncomfortable working situation under the car. But I can't measure any play!?

So I am wondering if it is possible/right to move the crankshaft with a big screwdriver at these places (red arrows in the drawing)?

Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-24 um 17.45.02.png

I did four measurements, all were around 4 thou (2 x 0,10, 1 x 0,11mm, 1 x 0,12mm). I think this is good?

Edited by Casar66