TR6 Power Steering

Does anyone have experience of fitting their 6 with PAS?  I am aware of an hydraulic kit marketed by Robsport and another outfit in Chorley, Lancs (I am in Hampshire) who will fit EPAS or supply a partial kit which requires considerable fettling of the steering column by the installer, or they will do the whole job for you  - next June!

Grateful for any feedback on these or any other systems, particularly if you have run it for a reasonable amount of time.

Cheers

Steve

+1 for CDD. I decided on HPAS as needing less messing about at the dashboard/bulkhead end than EPAS. Fitted earlier this year, neat job by Alasdair, good support, a tried and tested bit of kit with quite a number of installations by now, and very happy. Don't know if the Robsport item is a CDD unit in disguise, doesn't look like it somehow.

Another +1 for CDD. I fitted it in September. The kit was straightforward to install and it's a delight to drive with it. Only point to note is that you must use a pusher electric fan. The hydraulic ram leaves no space for either the original fan or a puller electric fan.

Hi Steve,

if you own a lathe and have fun on DIY 

you can make your own one based on a Renault Clio II EPAS for about 100-150 Euro.

I wrote 2 posts about how to get all parts and how to make them.

Also I have the second I made ready to fit in my workshop, if you don’t have two left hands.

Ciao, Marco 

6 hours ago, peejay4A said:

The CDD rack is mounted on an adapter plate - on a 4A. Also there’s no fan clearance problem with a 4A. 

Thanks Pete...do you know what the rack is off?

Looking at some of the CCD pics, I am finding it hard to determine the pinion angle to the mounting plate.

Also...are there wedge shaped mounting spacers between the rack and the adapter plate.

Edited by Malbaby

I don’t know where the rack is from and there are no wedges between the rack and the adapter plate. The steering column angle looks no different to a normal installation although a shorter column is part of the kit. The bodywork needs “slight adjustment” on the passenger side to clear the ram at full lock. That’s on a 4A. Pipe work is a bit fiddly but not a big deal. I mounted the reservoir in a different place to the instructions as I have inner wing protectors and can’t get at the bolts to mount it according to the instructions. 

It’s a great, if expensive, upgrade. 

No body adjustment needed on my TR6. Looking at how I fitted it, I'd say I mounted the rack as far to the RHS as possible. Otherwise as Pete says.

John

Litterally I have just started to look at fitting my CDD unit noting I am actually body off restoring the car so no engine and body work in place yet. I spent about an hour looking at fitting the rack but I find the CDD instructions / photos very difficult to follow - surprised me as I usually don't have a problem with such things.

Does anyone have their own photos taken whilst they installed their sytem that they can share?

Here’s how I mounted the reservoir as I couldn’t get access to the recommended location. 

2F2A4F33-C374-4FCB-9FCA-48878B70F5F3.jpeg

I noticed that on the prior thread the pump is driven from a replacement crankshaft pulley. Mine has a replacement water pump pulley with two sheaves and a very short belt. 

Edited by peejay4A