Very interesting WW1 pictures discovered

Whole stash of pictures found in a house in France after laying undisturbed for nearly a 100yrs  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154057120722696.1073741841.26363622695&type=1&l=4be8b56acf

Stuart.

35 minutes ago, Harbottle said:

Very interesting Stuart. I have to say the dude on the first motorbike picture looks a bit young?

Paul

There was quite a lot of underage soldiers back then, it was a different world and they wanted to get to do their patriotic duty. My Grandfather was a boy soldier in WW1

Stuart.

5 hours ago, stuart said:

My Grandfather was a boy soldier in WW1

Stuart.

Mine too. Joined up at 16, shipped to Gallipoli the following year, shot in the shoulder within his first 3 weeks, losing most of the use of his left arm. Discharged as unfit two weeks before his 18th birthday, refused a pension as he was under age!

However, as he'd signed up "to serve His Majesty for the duration..." he was still the King's property, so he was posted to an ammunition factory as a checker, which is where he met my grandma.

Pete

18 hours ago, stuart said:

There was quite a lot of underage soldiers back then, it was a different world and they wanted to get to do their patriotic duty. My Grandfather was a boy soldier in WW1

Stuart.

My grandfather too. Joined the East Surrey Regiment. They seemed to be present at all the big ‘shows’. Got gassed and had permanent damage. Pneumonia eventually got him.  No support in those days. Regiment stepped in and my grandmother was employed as a housekeeper by the regimental padre. 

Stunning photos. Quite a range of nationalities.

Miles