Two extra questions about body panel sealer after forum search

Dear all

We are about to refit the panels to our TR6. I have searched the forum on how to go about the sealer in between panels and body, a well discussed topic, e.g.:

All seem to agree to use a non setting non paintable flexible sealer. I do have two more questions, just to make sure we will be doing it right:

1. What type of sealer would you recommend today?  

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/v000117804/ seems to be a popular suggestion, although it is more of a glue which would make it difficult to remove panels in the future. No, for sure removing panels is not a job you do every year, but I'd still like to know I would be able to just if need be. Any alternative products with the same positive characteristcs but less 'permanent'? 

2. Where to apply?

Am I right thinking the sealer goes everywhere where indicated by the red line on the pics below?

image.png.9d1e564b77f7bdbb2fd2137a9d47c6e7.png

image.png.93497314ccd2ceffe8e22e9c43847617.png

image.png.9c7331f79171e34f7e15ab6a5603b5df.png

+ between lower front valance and lower part of front wings (I do not currently have a picture of that spot.)

I would very much like a finish as seen on this green TR6 in the GW Revival 22 car park:

image.png.c04461b9ddd3f1f7acbd4c39b55606a0.png

Many thanks for any updated advice on a suitable product and where to apply. 

Best regards

Jeroen

That 3M product is correct, read the description and it says "remains soft", its not a glue type. apply it everywhere the panels meet. you`ll soon work out where its needed as you trial fit them, dont forget also to seal the front wing splash panels all the way round.

Stuart.

+1

As suggested by Stuart to me I've used it for everything that has needed sealing like the windscreen etc and its worked well.

Just wear gloves and have plenty of rags!

Stuart what's the best way to clean the residual smearing off the paintwork?

Andy

Make sure you apply enough sealer to the joints for the rear panels so that it "squeezes out" when the panels are bolted together. This ensures you get a nice uniform finish as per the pictures. Excess sealer is easily removed with White Spirit or other similar product.

15 hours ago, PodOne said:

+1

As suggested by Stuart to me I've used it for everything that has needed sealing like the windscreen etc and its worked well.

Just wear gloves and have plenty of rags!

Stuart what's the best way to clean the residual smearing off the paintwork?

Andy

Good quality spirit wipe is what I use.

Stuart.

Jeroen,

with the risk of stating the obvious:

First put the body and inside of the panels in the final paint.

Regards/groetjes,

Waldi

15 hours ago, JTY said:

Many thanks, all. The 3M product seems to be limited stock with most of the (for me, BE) suppliers. I'll try to get a hold of it next week. Would the following product make or a suitable alternative to the 3M product if necessary? https://petec.de/en/products/?prodid=286

As a non setting and panel removable sealer it looks designed to do that job. 

If you cant get the 3M one then this is a good alternative. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221933629256

Cant see why the guy in the advert you showed is using that product round a bonded windscreen though.

Stuart.

3M it is.

(@Roy, I didn’t want to order from a UK supplier because customs delay here in Belgium can be a nightmare. I managed to find some in a BE and trusted webshop that was readily available.)

Many thanks everyone! On to the final preparations and on go the panels shortly.