Hello,

Does anyone have a cheapish light weight car trailer for sale, or know of one? Within a reasonable distance to Amersham or West Drayton area.

I have to move my two halves of a TR2, and the chassis. I've looked for a while on eBay with no luck.

I was going to hire a van but i'm worried If it gets a slight scratch I'll lose my deposit.

My Volvo 940 estate 2 litre won't pull a big heavy trailer. The halves nearly fit in the volvo but not quite.

Only need to move them 15 miles. 

Just a thought, Ken.

Ken - I have an 8'6" x 4' 6" trailer with a drop down ramp which can carry one ton  - I'm confident this will more than do your job - you are welcome to borrow this FOC but you will need to collect and return it to Colchester - if you are the Ken Foster who used to be my neighbour in Colchester, you will know exactly where I am! 

If of interest, PM me or call direct

Cheers Rich  

Ken, I have a trailer and towing vehicle and live near Amersham. Do you just need a one-off move? If so I'd be very glad to help. I'll send you a Private Message.

Nigel

1 hour ago, rcreweread said:

Ken - I have an 8'6" x 4' 6" trailer with a drop down ramp which can carry one ton  - I'm confident this will more than do your job - you are welcome to borrow this FOC but you will need to collect and return it to Colchester - if you are the Ken Foster who used to be my neighbour in Colchester, you will know exactly where I am! 

If of interest, PM me or call direct

Cheers Rich  

Thank you Rich for your kind offer, Colchester may be a bit far. 

I've never lived there so I'm not the ken Foster you know.

Kind regards Ken

When I had to do a similar move I hired a small tipper truck from a local van hire company.

Because it had been used by builders to move all sorts of materials it was covered in dents and scratches so a few more would have made no difference.

I doubt if any tipper truck is dent free.

Charlie

3 hours ago, roy53 said:

i towed a race car and trailer for 15 years with a 940 , well up for the job.

Roy

Hi Roy, was it a 2litre?

Until I did a top end rebuild last year ( cam belt failure) it was struggling to pull it's own weight before. It will take a light trailer but, those massive brian James ones. I doubt very much.

Ken

Edited by ken foster

I towed a TR2 on a Brian James trailer from Wiltshire to Argyll this summer with a 2litre Citroen Xantia estate and it coped very well. The Volvo should be well capable.

Cheers

Richard

DSCN3210.JPG

2 hours ago, Dic Doretti said:

I towed a TR2 on a Brian James trailer from Wiltshire to Argyll this summer with a 2litre Citroen Xantia estate and it coped very well. The Volvo should be well capable.

Cheers

Richard

DSCN3210.JPG

Thanks, that’ll be a diesel I assume, you could pull up tree stumps with the torque from a diesel car. 

cheers ken

On 11/9/2022 at 2:24 PM, roy53 said:

Yes 2ltr petrol 240000 miles Brian James trailer and an easy tow. 

A friend tow his daughters horse box with one.

Roy

Thank you for reply Roy, that's reassuring info.

Are either of these cars equipped with turbo's?

My step dad had a new wentworth 940 estate in the 80s which had a turbo and that had much more power than my car. Of course turbo power does not give more torque which is  desirable for towing.

Ken

4 minutes ago, ken foster said:

Thank you for reply Roy, that's reassuring info.

Are either of these cars equipped with turbo's?

My step dad had a new wentworth 940 estate in the 80s which had a turbo and that had much more power than my car. Of course turbo power does not give more torque which is  desirable for towing.

Ken

Non turbo versions do struggle a bit, I had a 740 non turbo 2 ltr and that wasnt that happy towing and I then got a 940 2 ltr turbo and that was plenty capable of towing anything.

Stuart.

27 minutes ago, stuart said:

Non turbo versions do struggle a bit, I had a 740 non turbo 2 ltr and that wasnt that happy towing and I then got a 940 2 ltr turbo and that was plenty capable of towing anything.

Stuart.

Thank you Stuart..... The font of all knowledge.

Cheers Ken