Upgraded IRS drive shafts ?

Hi folks , 

I’m changing driveshafts on my 5 having discovered play in the ujs and hub bearings . 
I had intended getting reconditioned exchange shafts / hubs but I’ve seen new shafts with modern cv joints are available  , although at nearly £1200 ! 
Has anyone used these or can recommend them , it seems like a better option but a lot more money . 
thanks 

Dave 

Dave - I think you will find that replacing your existing arrangement with new similar components ( don't go for cheap chinese driveshafts - use instead uprated ones with preferably rislan coated splines), the cost will be pretty much the same as a CV jointed set.

CDD quote £985 + Vat  for their sets and often do discount deals at shows etc, so worth contacting them direct.

Cheers Rich

The drive shaft u/j's can be replaced quite cheaply even using superior quality ones, as long as the driveshaft splines are not worn ( most suppliers list two grades of u/j). They should then drive and last as well as the original triumph items. An uprated driveshaft using modern cv joints is theoretically a better engineering solution, but whether there is any discernible difference in normal use I couldn't say. Justifying the additional cost  is a matter of personal choice. 

Consensus on hubs seems to be buy new rather than refurbished to avoid any risk of stub axle failure.

Mike

I was worried about the hub failures that have happened, so although my driveshafts & bearings were showing no symptoms I wanted a little piece of mind so went for the c/v option from Classic Driving Developments. Alisdair was most helpful & I was very impressed with the engineering of his units. They have been fitted for a few months now & all is well so far. I noticed that all play had disappeared & the gear changes feel a little more positive (due I guess from any play taken up by the c/v system). Very pleased with the new units & can recommend.

I installed the CDD CV shafts too.

Risk of sudden stub end failure was one of reasons.  On replacement hubs (new, with new axle) some issues were reported. These components are engineered pieces where details in design, materials etc. are vital.

The CDD CV shafts are clearly the best solution for me.

The improved driving (no more clonk and hang-up in sharp bends) are an additional bonus.

Waldi

Thanks for the replies and info , 

A set of reconditioned shafts / hubs will of course still have play in the splines although there doesn’t appear to be any detectable play in mine it will be a different set I get back . 
Is the stub axle failure mentioned the axle shearing when the bearings fail or can it just happen at any time ? 

CV joints are undoubtedly better but then the ujs have done the job for many years . 

The failures of the stub axle can happen any time, they are fatigue related, and it is practically impossible to detect fatigue by periodic inspection. 
Load conditions (how aas the car driven in the past) and design modifications (like wider tyres and stiffer dampers) play a roll too.

Waldi

Do not fit rebuilt hubs unless new stub axles have been used.

The forces required to split the bearing can critically weaken aging stub axles a number of which have failed shortly after with serious results.

I have fitted the cv jointed drive shafts with uprated hubs and have been more than happy with them.

18 hours ago, Trumpy said:

Thanks all, 

I think I need to invest in a new set .

finger crossed for some show discounts.
thanks

Dave  

Talk to Alisdair @ Classic Driving Developments. Very helpful guy.

If you choose to rebuild your hub assemblies here is an original NOS outer axle shaft for sale.    The one that cracks on ancient hub assys 

Not mine but would be of use to someone rebuilding original hubs correctly

This seller comes up with some quite nice NOS stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR4A-TR6-Outer-Axle-shaft-1965-1976-NEW-Original-Leyland-Item-UKC643/225219800733?hash=item3470256e9d:g:heUAAOSwJGpjH4cd&pageci=5e9a4f6f-76d4-4788-8948-82e7907fae15&redirect=mobile

EE2B2606-B82C-4524-9A8A-3822DD6A401F.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT