While looking for old papers in my desk I found the instructions for my KrookLok. It is an old one with a yellow central box and two red hooks. When it was new I noted the key no.  in a special empty box on the instructions. I have a collection of old keys but none match the numbers or fit in the Lock. The instructions offer new keys by post and there is an important message in five languages.

I have checked Google for the company but can not find any useful information, such as a telephone number. The address is a bit short 

KROOKLOCK AFTERMARKET PRODUCTION DANA Ltd

STOURBRIDGE DY8 4PF

ENGLAND

Is there any member in Stourbridge, or nearby , who could let us all  know if the company still exists and if they have a number or email address.

Thanks Richard & B

I had a Krooklok like yours until quite recently, but when I sold my Hillman it went with it.

As I recall the key was basicaly the same as the FS / FP type used on our cars.

Can you see any numbers on the lock anywhere, alternatively, just try as many keys of that type as you can find. (I have a fair number of them myself)

Bob

Hello Richard

I have one of those Krooklok with the yellow central box and red ends. The key number is not visible on the lock itself. On the key it is stamped Krooklok on both sides and there is a 5 digit number. It is similar to the FS/FP types but there are no FS or FP letters on the key so not exactly the same.

You will have put the keys in a 'safe' place as we all do and then you forget where the 'safe' place is. I suggest you start with the glove box and work outwards!

Good hunting

Keith

Richard,

Krooklok used to be made by:

Johnson & Starley Ltd
Rhosili Road
Brackmills Ind Est
Northampton
NN4 7LZ

But they now seem to make boilers !!!

The address that you mentioned included the word “DANA”
There is a firm with that name that makes locks for home security and to get spare keys for those products you can go to:

https://danalock.com/extra-keys

Maybe a waste of time, but it’s a start.

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D

Thanks very much. I called Oskeys and the workshop will call back after lunch. My key number starts 94.

I also tried Danalock who seem to be in Denmark with no phone number.

There are some keys saved from an earlier life in my desk drawer. The variety of keys brings back a lot of memories. Why am I keeping them ??   None of them fit the Krooklok.

I will wait for the workshop to call back.

Richard & B

34 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

There are some keys saved from an earlier life in my desk drawer

Then you say:  " The variety of keys brings back a lot of memories"

Then you ask:  "Why am I keeping them ??"

I think you have answered your own question with the word "Memories."

I have exactly the same situation. I can look at my box of keys and some take me back 50 years. The locks are long gone, but the keys remain.

Something to do with getting old, I think.

Charlie.

./Well done Bob You are ahead of me.

Oskeys did call back and they only do Krooklok keys in the 93000 range and mine is 94000. They did make the effort and suggested that I try a local locksmith.

Next stop will be Johnson and Starley.

Thanks for the help so far

Richard and B

16 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

Johnson and Starley have never heard of Krooklok and the lady who answered had never heard of my locking bars. 

No doubt some young kid who was born after decimalization.

(Note that as well as the advert saying “Made by Johnson and Starley Ltd, Northampton” it also gives the price in both £sd and decimal.)

historical-krooklok-2.jpg

25 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Hi Richard, I’ve got and had the same crooklok for 40+ years in the TR… However, my neighbour who knows ‘everything’ informs me that the modern day thieves can ‘do’ them in seconds…… Just for information before you spend too much time and or money

I think they could ‘do them’ in seconds in the old days! Hidden fuel cut off & a battery cut off are my primary anti-thief measures but I do also have 2 ‘Krooklock’ type devices available.

I have sent an email to Johnson and Starley and there has been no answer yet  

So today I am taking the TR out to the local village so that I can make sure it starts and runs. A cousin and his family are coming for the weekend and the car must be OK. Starting well is important to children ( and the owner )

Richard & B