Roof levers - pinions

Hi guys what is your general consensus on this?   Previous owner just used glue so of course it recently just fell off and on inspection I can see that the screw is broken inside this pinion

ordering from the UK is a real pain due to Brexit so any easy ideas or suggestions on getting the screw out?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Repairable.

Measure the diameter of the old screw so you know the maximum size to drill to. ( is it 3 mm?) Thread I think is UNC -  either No 6 (3.5mm) or 8 (4.1 mm).

I'd spot the end of the broken screw first to get a good starting point as it is not squarely broken  Then drill down with a 2 or 2.5  mm to start with.

If you over do the drilling you can always re tap to the next size up.

If you get the hole size right you could always CAREFULLY fit a self tapping screw of the correct diameter.  If you force it in and break it you will have a bigger problem as the self tapper will be hardened.

Peter W

On 8/19/2022 at 11:40 AM, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi guys what is your general consensus on this?   Previous owner just used glue so of course it recently just fell off and on inspection I can see that the screw is broken inside this pinion

ordering from the UK is a real pain due to Brexit so any easy ideas or suggestions on getting the screw out?

image.jpg

image.jpg

To stand a chance of getting that out without damage to the threads. The piece needs to be drilled out using  a pillar drill,  clamped in a vice as accurate drilling is required. Center dot first using a Centre dot punch. Drill a hole using a suitable drill. Then screw in an Easy Out. Note; They are screwed in anti clockwise. A squirt of Plus Gas on the broken stud may help if it has rusted. Use a high tensile screw as a replacement that uses an Allen key.

Bruce.

10 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

Then screw in an Easy Out

Ooh - if you mean the cheap long-tapered spiral extractors be very careful with those things. Dead hard and brittle as a very brittle thing, particularly the small diameter ones. Snap it off in the hole and you have a real problem because you can't drill it.

The decent but more expensive short ones are less likely to snap. 

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Ooh - if you mean the cheap long-tapered spiral extractors be very careful with those things. Dead hard and brittle as a very brittle thing, particularly the small diameter ones. Snap it off in the hole and you have a real problem because you can't drill it.

The decent but more expensive short ones are less likely to snap. 

I have a set of USA made Easy Outs which I have used for years so far I have not snapped one! They seem quite flexible . These are quite short, They have straight tapered flutes on them and you tap them in so that they get a good bite.

Bruce.

A bit like all vacuum cleaners being called Hoovers I think Bruce - yours sound like the real deal.

These are the brittle things that people seem to call 'easy-outs' and which web-searches find first using that name.  Not knowing any better in my youth, I used one once and of course it snapped off in the hole........

ez.jpg.6fe660cc6453fb06e04ca4f0ca9a29a1.jpg

Edited by RobH

I’ve found this type to be excellent as it minimises the radial expansion that tapered ones can exert.

Regards

Bill

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295099457819

As advised keep away from ANYTHING with a left hand thread which is very hard, they don't break, they EXPLODE.

Where the thread converts to a straight shank at the top it makes a stress riser, and the best way to overload a stressed area...is to feed massive amounts of torque through it...ie turn a reverse action thread into the sheared off bolt.

As Bill posts (and I have previously posted) these "fluted" extractors work very well, their flutes running the length of the extractor...so no stress riser, and I've removed sheared off 3/8th bolts using up to 80 lb ft torque, (it's useful to use a preset torque wrench which you can decide what torque you wish to apply maximum) without the problem of the extractor breaking making the problem worse. 

The video above uses fluted straight shank tough extractors which you apply undoing torque through slip over nuts...like these.

934001325_Flangeextractorset.thumb.jpg.158a4087dc58fe24d8bcdb420fa8af34.jpg912100742_Slideflangednutoverstud.thumb.jpg.6384077c2a59c8fe9fc54d6bf960850a.jpg483314728_Studextractorfinish.thumb.jpg.e4612828d6b229dd421c634b99a9cdc0.jpg

This set is less expensive than the Snap on set, available through Amazon or e bay and also in a variety of manufacturers, I bought a Neilson set at £30 which I've found since at £19 on e bay...hurruummph ! But they work well.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
Duplicate
16 hours ago, RobH said:

A bit like all vacuum cleaners being called Hoovers I think Bruce - yours sound like the real deal.

These are the brittle things that people seem to call 'easy-outs' and which web-searches find first using that name.  Not knowing any better in my youth, I used one once and of course it snapped off in the hole........

ez.jpg.6fe660cc6453fb06e04ca4f0ca9a29a1.jpg

I hate the ones shown in your picture. I have snapped a few of them in the past!

Bruce..