Ignition - Lost Spark!

My early Pi car had been running perfectly these last two years after M/U & Distributor refurb, 6 new injectors and plugs, until yesterday! 5 miles into a run, stopped at lights, pulled away with a misfire that rapidly turned into fart box! Pulled into a layby and found Sooted up plugs and a weak spark at the Points which disappeared completely as I adjusted them! Two classic cars pulled up to offer assistance after I had called the RAC, they kindly returned with a new Coil, Condenser and Points, which we got the RAC man to fit...None of these did the trick and the RAC towed me home! What happened and where's the Spark gone?

3 minutes ago, CP26309 said:

My early Pi car had been running perfectly these last two years after M/U & Distributor refurb, 6 new injectors and plugs, until yesterday! 5 miles into a run, stopped at lights, pulled away with a misfire that rapidly turned into fart box! Pulled into a layby and found Sooted up plugs and a weak spark at the Points which disappeared completely as I adjusted them! Two classic cars pulled up to offer assistance after I had called the RAC, they kindly returned with a new Coil, Condenser and Points, which we got the RAC man to fit...None of these did the trick and the RAC towed me home! What happened and where's the Spark gone?

Hi CP!

Do you have a black Rotor Arm with a brass rivet?? If you have , replace it with a Red one from the DD. The black ones can be bad news.

Bruce.

The connection to the points in your picture is wrong. The two leads should be beneath the top plastic insulator and in contact with the points spring. Where they are now the power goes direct to earth through the mounting stud and the points are not doing anything. 

Edited by RobH
14 minutes ago, RobH said:

The connection to the points in your picture is wrong. The two leads should be beneath the plastic insulator and in contact with the points spring. Where they are now the power goes direct to earth through the mounting stud and the points are not doing anything. 

Well spotted!

Bruce.

Typical of the younger generation of mechanics who have quite possibly never seen a set of points before.

Stuart.

So, I refitted my old original Points and found the Spark and started the engine ok. So it was the Condenser at fault? The RAC man changed the points at the same time and assembled it incorrectly! He should have just changed one item at a time!  

I put back my old points and restored the spark...so must conclude it was a failed (Chinese?) Condenser! It started up on 5 cylinders, felt the fuel line to find which injector wasn't squirting, replaced it with a fresh one and it became a 'Sixer' once again! Took it for a blast and all was restored...until the next time then my fickle friend! :rolleyes:

If the dizzy was a recent DD refurb it should have had one of his decent condensers fitted rather than a cheap far-east one.  

But in the first post it was when driving that something failed. The wiring was at that time correct so what failed ?

It seems electrical as the spark went and not the pump overheating. So i don't think solved yet.

Would put back the DD condenser out of choice though.

As Roy says - it is fairly common for the wire from the dizzy to the coil to become intermittent.  It isn't supported well, so vibrates with the engine and can fracture inside the insulation at the ends where the wire enters the spade connector.  Same for the power wire on the other side of the coil.  Most of the time the insulation holds the broken ends together so everything works but now and then the contact breaks......

It's well worth checking for that.  

1 hour ago, RobH said:

As Roy says - it is fairly common for the wire from the dizzy to the coil to become intermittent.  It isn't supported well, so vibrates with the engine and can fracture inside the insulation at the ends where the wire enters the spade connector.  Same for the power wire on the other side of the coil.  Most of the time the insulation holds the broken ends together so everything works but now and then the contact breaks......

It's well worth checking for that.  

Yes, I had one fail while driving. The break was hidden under the insulator.