Hello All, 

After a few weeks I can report back, that I have successfully managed to get an overhauled  TR4 box with OD which I have successfully installed today. So far installation went smoothly. Next steps will be checking the fit of the gearbox tunnel. I have noticed the position of the speedo drive and am wondering if I should be concerned about interferrence with the tunel ? Any advice on this? 

Cheers

Oliver

od.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Oliver

You should be OK once the angle drive is fitted to the brass fitting , im guessing that you might not be aware that you need one , if you dont have one they are available new at  i think about £150

cheers

Steve

angle drive.jpg

Should not need an angle drive on a sidescreen, the cable passes through a special grommet which also covers the base of the handbrake

post-12009-0-96201000-1475485979_thumb.jpg  post-12009-0-87811900-1498292303_thumb.jpg   Click on to enlarge

Bob

Edited by Lebro
5 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Should not need an angle drive on a sidescreen, the cable passes through a special grommet which also covers the base of the handbrake

&  TR4's ...well, both of mine anyway!

Good advice and photos, thank you Bob.

TR friend if mine did this on his TR6 too, with the cable on the floor / below the carpet.

A long speedo cable is needed this route.

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting, my angle drive is a nice fit and uses a shorter speedo cable which does fit nicely behind the rubber gaiter. The cable is too short to reach without the angle drive. I do service mine  every 4 or 5 years with a clean and a regrease after years of experiance with them running GT6s . The newer iangle drives dont have the peened cover so its possible to service it and repair if the cable end comes adrift .

The gearbox i have is a triumph 2.5 casing   and the overdrive is triumph 2.5,  the gears seem to match tr4a and i have up rated some parts when i rebuiult the box 18 months ago.

I am guessing that over the years there have been a number of Manual to Overdrive converstions with later TR boxes/Saloon boxes, fitted with O/Ds with angle drives. Never occoured to me that the side screen works manauals dont detail their use for sidescreen cars ... learn something every day 

Edited by Nobbysr