DVLA driving licence

On 2/5/2022 at 8:49 AM, ianc said:

But is there a mandatory sight test every 3 years from 70 onwards, or is it applied solely to people such as myself, who declared an existing condition in my eyesight ?

I have read some frightening stories of older folk being stopped by the police and found to be incapable of reading a number plate at the prescribed distance.  One old man was driving at 10mph on a main road and had been spotted by a number of other motorists who called the police..  When stopped and checked, the police found him incapable of reading a number plate - so that's where his journey ended.

I believe that a sight test every 3 years should be mandatory from 70 onwards, and the sight test should cover not just ability to read number plate but also peripheral vision, where one looks into a hemisphere and clicks each time a small light flashes somewhere.  At the recent test, I scored 98% on the peripheral test, but the optometrist agreed that it was possible that the rims of my spectacles had blanked out a few lights, so she tested me with specs removed and I scored 100%, which was reassuring.  I have no idea what percentage is required for a Pass.

Ian Cornish

I used to live in a small town in the Welsh valleys, where, in the early 70s, a coach rammed into a car that had stopped at a pedestrian crossing to let an elderly lady cross. The car was pushed into her by the coach, breaking her hip. The coach driver said he was unable to see the stopped car because of the thick fog, although it was a bright sunny day in early summer. He was only in his late sixties, but had never had an eye test.

Pete

• 1 year later...

Just had my Driving Licence renewal reminder come through, first time for me so reading up on the subject.

Like many on here I currently have the additional C1 & D1 groups which was useful as I had to drive a 7.5ton removal truck a couple of years ago because my son-in-law didn't have the C1 group. So I'm thinking it might be useful for a little longer - mainly for helping family and friends etc who've never held the C1 group. (not fussed about D1 group covering mini-buses but these two groups come as a pair I understand).

Giving up those additional groups and applying online is tempting, but once lost I'd never get them back so .....

I'd be be interested in hearing comments from anyone who has been through the process of retaining C1/D1 groups recently, I do realise extra forms are required and it all has to be submitted on paper through the post but I have 2 months to go.

Thanks all

Bob

Not done this. But I did let my hgv class 1 lapse and wished I hadn’t. 
as you say once gone ……

7.5 tonnes like trailer use is useful occasionally

If you are renewing your C1 & D1 you will need a Medical and Eye Test, for me it’s £130 at my Doctors and £25 at the Opticians, or can find driver Doctor £45 all in and he doesn’t no if I have any conditions or if I take tablets.

Mike Redrose Group 

On 1/20/2024 at 7:54 PM, brenda said:

If you are renewing your C1 & D1 you will need a Medical and Eye Test, for me it’s £130 at my Doctors and £25 at the Opticians, or can find driver Doctor £45 all in and he doesn’t no if I have any conditions or if I take tablets.

Mike Redrose Group 

You will also need a Digital tachograph card and, if any hire or reward aspects apply, a CPC in Driver training 35hours in a  5 period, which is why I gave up my HGV entitlement as it wasn't worth the cost, up to £1000, I would incur.