7 hours ago, TorontoTim said:

Then asked to show working indicators. As the tester said "put on the left indicator, please" I looked him in the eye, deadpan, and held out my left arm..."right indicator, please" again, an arm signal.  "Thank you," he said and off we went.  :ph34r::D

Wonder if hand signals would fly today, if you pulled up to a test in a '35 Ford?  

(Top tip for 1935 . . . "don't look down on your gear lever when changing, examiners don't like cars on pavements" :lol:

Deggers

1 hour ago, Bleednipple said:

...no indication required "If there is no-one who would benefit from a signal"...

With that logic it would mean that lighthouse keepers would be told to switch their lights off if they could not see a ship on the horizon that was in danger of crashing on the rocks that the lighthouse was there to warn them of.

I don’t think that happens.

Personally I always indicate, even if I can see no one who would benefit from my actions.

Who knows what is just around the corner?

I know I don’t…

Charlie

7 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

. . . it would mean that lighthouse keepers would be told to switch their lights off if they could not see a ship on the horizon

:huh:

Always wondered who was to blame for not dipping their mains.

Pesky lighthouse keepers. 

16 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

With that logic it would mean that lighthouse keepers would be told to switch their lights off if they could not see a ship on the horizon 

but they are always turning them on and off. They really can’t make their mind up. It can be several times a minute !!!

:ph34r:

My comments on unnecessary signallinmg and considering the need for a signal before making a lane change prompted a healthy debate, which is never a bad thing. I would just point out that the 'Information' element of the systen of car control persists throughout the negotiation of a hazard (anything which is an actual or potential danger relating to a feature of the road or the presence of other road users). This means that the need for a signal is considered throughout and if circumstances change one previously considered unnecessary can and should be applied. 

Tim  

Problem is that if one is executing a manoeuvre without having indicated in advance, it takes a finite time (and possibly swapping hands) then, should another vehicle suddenly appear seemingly from  nowhere, to move the lever for the trafficators.

In my opinion, having checked for presence of other vehicles, better always to signal so that one can concentrate more fully (but not exclusively) on the manoeuvre itself.

Ian Cornish