Oil Gallery Plug removal...

Hi Gents,

This winter I will be removing and replacing a weeping oil gallery plug on my ´62 TR4. The one behind the flywheel. I have already made the Richard Marx bearing seal fitment.

Trying to search the forum for tips I have come up short.  Might just be my lacking of searching-skills...

Some of you have certainly endeavored on this so please enlighten me. Is it difficult ?  any tips for removal?  the one that is fitted right now is without any groove or anything to "grab" it and is slightly recessed... (about a 1,5mm)

best regards

Niels Peter

Edited by 62-tr4-DK

Hi Niels,

there is a great deal pf preparation work to replace a small cheap item. But if it leaking then it must be done.

You could take the Engine AND GB out as one unit and do the work easily

OR  you can take the GB out on its own and do the work insitu.

Remove the flywheel.

The core plug is shown on the Moss WebCat as a dished washer.  I'm sure I have also seen it as a cup.

Either way drill a hole in the centre and use a screwdriver to lever it out.

If ever you need to remove the cam then you could knock the core plug out from within.

Use a smear of Welseal on the plug  and seat when fitting.  Punch the centre of the core plug nearly flat to ensure a good seal.

AND then put it all back together again.:)

Roger 

Niels is talking about the small plug in the end of the oil gallery, not the camshaft core plug.

I did not remove mine, the machine shop did, The one I replaced it with had an allen key socket.

I sealed it in using Loctite 638.

Bob.

On sixes, not fours.

They have a hex-socket, can't recall the size.  But often they give way the Allen key won't turn it.     I weld a bolt to them, but as they are recessed, strat by building up a mound of weld before attaching the bolt.    It's not pretty but it works.

The original plug has been grooved, with a hacksaw, to act as a tap to clean out the threads, as I don't have on that size.

John

IMG_20210930_152416.jpg

Hi Gents,

thanks for the info.... as Bob states it is the small oil gallery plug and not the big Camshaft plug. That one I changed when I uprated the main bearing seal.  but I much appreciate the help.

Does the oil gallery plugs tend to be really stuck?  what is common practice at to remove it? or rather is there a common way? 

Niels Peter

If yo have Allen drives that are sockets, choose one that is JUST too big and hammer it in!   That should be as tight as possible to get the plug to release.

Welding provides very localised, extreme heat, that even a blow torch can't, when it's sunk into the heat sink of the block.

John

Just changed mine when rebuilding the engine. Presumably had been stuck in with stud lock rather than thread sealer!  They were ali so no option to weld a stud on it like John.

Ended up drilling and forcing a square sectioned SDS bit into it and using a huge adjustable spanner to unscrew it. 

There are jobs you just wish you hadn't started - the oil galleries were clean as they come!

Bought a second hand tap off ebay to cleab the threads.

Clean, perhaps, Andy, but rough as a badger's  .....

I have an 11mm drill that is 600mm long, so that it will traverse the entire length of the main gallery.    Every time I use it for a rebuild (I do so from both ends) I find that there are projections into the gallery that must impede oil flow.   They aren't mere depositions of gungy oil. but solid metal, from the manufacture of the block.    Some may be from drilling the side passages to the mains, etc., some are unrelated.    The gallery is so rough that I wonder if it is cast in the mould, not drilled, but can't see how that could be done!

23 hours ago, Hamish said:

This may be of some use as an insight. 

I'm more than a little surprised that someone who rebuilds engines for others, presumably for payment, didn't know how to install a domed core plug!

Pete

2 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

Once the bungs we’re out I ran a shotgun cleaner through. 

Pipe cleaners brushes for the smaller drillings.

Is that a 'bottle brush' type, or the 'fourbytwo' piece of flannel on a ramrod?   I think the second might leave threads in there from all the protrusions!

11 hours ago, Lebro said:

20201203_144915.thumb.jpg.3daa9048cc2f53c51c7a0464b02566d8.jpg

Ah the “gentleman’s gentleman” engine cleaning kit.

Indeed, Sir.

One should never be without the means to regulate one's equipment.    However, as with automobiles, shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end.      

Will that be all, Sir?