TR4 racing dashboard ?

Just happened to be admiring a '64 TR4 in the classified adverts, and picked up on "with the benefit of having the sought after racing dash".

I'd not heard of this before. perhaps someone might be able to tell me what the difference in spec was.?

Cheers, Pete.

There is no such thing, I read that too its waffle, its got the standard white dash correct for TR4 I also suspect the shell is an import as it has the aerial in the front right hand scuttle which is typical of a US export car.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, 

It did look the same but I didn't know if the instruments were different, or perhaps calibrated for different gearbox and final drive ratios, and/or with extra gauges or switches. Looking at the photo there are a just couple of extra switches / warning lights in the passenger foot well, but those appear to be for hazard lights.  And then there's a push-button radio.  Often racer's have a more prominent rev counter but that again looks pretty standard. 

2 hours ago, MichaelH said:

The Rally cars had the dash painted matt black, but can't see advantage in a racing car

only to prevent reflective glare (from the white dashboard) as one blasts down the long straight ..and into the sunset.

Pete.

Works' Rally cars: dash not painted matt black, but covered in black vynide (I think that's what the material is called). 

Lockable cubby removed, Speedo moved to left, alongside Halda (because they share the cable drive). 

Below these are: "Panic" horn button (for navigator's use), 2-pin power socket and a switch for speedo & Halda lights.

Extra holes in dash for warning lights above steering column.

The cigar lighter socket, fan control and isolator switch are my additions.

The map reading lamp and the switches for the spotlamps and reversing lamp are all original.  So also the Sprinzel driver's seat, the special navigator's seat, which reclines and has a head rest, and the seat belts which clip onto a yoke on the prop shaft tunnel.

Fly-off handbrake on prop shaft tunnel because steel sheets welded to underside of chassis prevent access to underside of standard handbrake, and gear lever cranked to avoid the handbrake and bring it closer to driver's hand.

Bundy tube to rear brakes and the petrol pipe run inside cabin so that they shouldn't get ripped off!

The other 3 cars differ somewhat because they were converted to lefthand drive prior to shipment across the Atlantic for the 1964 Shell 4000 Rally, and each has been converted back to RHD and then (in the case of 3VC and 6VC) further modified for competition, with roll cage, full harness, modern seats etc.

Come and have a look at Malvern next weekend, when all four cars should be gathered together for the first time since January 1964.

Ian Cornish

IMG_1598.JPG

Hi Folks,

this is my racing/rallying dash when I first bought the TR4. 

But clearly it is just black vinyl and it travels at the same speed as the rest of the car.

It also had a tunnel mounted handbrake - so it must  a really fast car

Roger

IMGP6324a.jpg

IMGP6326a.jpg

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

this is my racing/rallying dash when I first bought the TR4. 

But clearly it is just black vinyl and it travels at the same speed as the rest of the car.

It also had a tunnel mounted handbrake - so it must  a really fast car

Roger

IMGP6324a.jpg

IMGP6326a.jpg

That handbrake looks a pig to operate properly.

Maybe not so fast if you couldn’t release it without a struggle! :lol: I assume if now has the correct one?

Kevin

Thanks Ian and Roger.

what did the works track- race  cars have ?

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

it is just black vinyl and it travels at the same speed as the rest of the car.

:D:D

The only TR4s raced by the Works were those in the USA, with Kastner running the show.  No involvement from Triumph in the UK.

Ian Cornish