Hello!

To cut a long story short, I have been restoring my TR4A (USA import to be converted to RHD) with my step-father for the past 5 years up in his workshop in Derby and during the COVID-19 pandemic, my mum and step-dad seperated. Needless to say that I am now being forced to get all my "stuff" out. My TR4A is in a compeltly dismantled state and the body has been stripped but now needs a lot of repair (floors, sills, boot, etc....).

So far, the engine, gearbox, rear axle have been refurbished but there is still a lot to do.

Having to move everything out has been a real kick in the teeth, but I've got no where to store the car, and am reluctant to just store what bits I can in my garage (it's full as we've recently moved house) leaving the chasis and body outside in the UK climate.

Can people offer some advice as to how to get a car moved? Are there any cheap haulage companies that could do this for me as I don't have the means to move this myself (and will get no help from my step-father)?

I'm contemplating just selling up and starting a fresh. Taking on the rest of the restoration seems like a big task and I've got no experience welding or doing any body work, nevermind the long reasembly that would ensue. I guess the only thing to bear in mind is that I wouldn't get my money back and would take a substanial loss.

I guess any pearls of wisdom or advice would be greatly appriciated at this time.

Thanks,

Adam

(located in South Oxfordshire)

Hi Adam,

Sounds like a bit of a situation you have found yourself in..

Getting things moved shoudn't be too bad there are plenty of people who will move the car on a loader for a fee or you can even rent a trailer if you have a toe hitch. We did this for my cousin's cortina. 

Storage is always an issue. One route is to store all the bits in a self store unit until you are ready to go. A chassis can survive fine outside if you spray libberally with waxoil or similar and then wrap in a tarp. A friend of mine kept a mk1 landrover chassis like this down the side of his house for years with little issue.

If the body is still on the chassis then this is a bit more of a problem. There are some selfstores that will let you rent a shipping container. A TR will fit in one of these no sweat. 

It does seem that you just need to buy yourself some breathing time to sort everything else out and then you can come back to the car when life is simpler.

Tim

Adam - it looks like you are not a member of the club as a "registered user" but that title is often wrong , so if you are, apologies.

My first port of call in your situation would be my local TR group - in your circumstances, probably the group nearest to where you live for a long term solution but also worth contacting the local group where the car currently is  - our group welcomes members and non members alike in situations like yours and you will hopefully find lots of hands on advice and knowledge - TRers are very adapt at sniffing out good storage facilities and volunteering to help etc so well worth asking around.

You will find local group details on the main website - hope this helps and good luck - don't give up.

Cheers Rich

Hi Adam,

TRicky.

You need to decide what approach you take to this -

can you rebuild it - with no skills could take a great deal of time.

Can you sell it in the short term - you will lose money but that is life.

Buying a running, MOT'd car is the obvious answer.

I'm In Hayes near Heathrow and have a rent garage that will be vacant till mid November.  If you want to borrow that you can.

But the problem will still be there unless an action plan works.

Contacting your local group is a very good idea - South Bucks could be the North London Group or Chiltern TR's - give them a try.

Roger

Rent a self-drive van with a tail-lift, get a few friends and you can load all the car bits and anything else into the van in 3 or 4 hrs.

Unload the van at your place, keep the TR outside whilst you get the garage emptied. It's easier to store household items at a self storage unit and use the garage for the car than vice-versa.

By October, plan on having the TR on its side in the garage, and regular motivational meetings with your local TR Register group.

10 hours ago, ctc77965o said:

Rent a self-drive van with a tail-lift, get a few friends and you can load all the car bits and anything else into the van in 3 or 4 hrs.

Unload the van at your place, keep the TR outside whilst you get the garage emptied. It's easier to store household items at a self storage unit and use the garage for the car than vice-versa.

By October, plan on having the TR on its side in the garage, and regular motivational meetings with your local TR Register group.

+1  -  I like that plan

Contact local housing associations/council to see if they have garages available;  they normally do.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Also, consider your friends or family who might know of someone, like Roger’s kind offer, who has a garage, or space, free, even if temporarily. When I moved a van last year I was able to hire a van-style car transporter- that was handy.

But not a girlfriend - I did that when I first bought my TR4a, and stored it in her Mother’s garage. We eventually split and I had a hell of a job persuading her to open the garage afterwards. 

Kevin

Sell it and take the hit.

Self storage in a rented facility is possibly the most expensive option. Do not do this, it will go on for ever.

Leaving bits outside will quickly make them unusable and reduce their value to the point where they will only be scrap.

If you have room in the garden buy a storage container or insulated lorry body and get it craned in.

There are times when taking a step back is the best way forward.

Calculate what your storage costs will be for the next 5 years and start saving the equivalent for the next one.

Good luck, Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Thank you for the valuable advice, it's given me a lot to think about. And thank you Roger for the kind offer of your garage! It is much appriaciated.

I've got to admit, I'm leaning very heavily towards just selling up and taking the hit, just so I can move on. I think one of the main sticking points is getting the body finished. Would any of you be able to recommend some one who could, at a reasonable price, fix up and paint the body?

thanks,

Adam

47 minutes ago, The_Doc said:

Hello All,

Thank you for the valuable advice, it's given me a lot to think about. And thank you Roger for the kind offer of your garage! It is much appriaciated.

I've got to admit, I'm leaning very heavily towards just selling up and taking the hit, just so I can move on. I think one of the main sticking points is getting the body finished. Would any of you be able to recommend some one who could, at a reasonable price, fix up and paint the body?

thanks,

Adam

You could talk to these guys, they have done a few TRs https://www.facebook.com/mandjcarsandclassics

Stuart.