Picture says it all really ? And inside gearbox

Mike of @brenda car fame popped over this morning to help me put the box back in the car. 
I think it’s fair to say we were prepared for some “messing about”

however 10 mins and it was home up against the block and the first couple bolts in.

ive done this box a few times and it really was the best refit yet.

MASSIVE THANK YOU TO MIKE  made my life soooo much easier today. It’s a 2 person job really.

It allowed me to refit it all and tighten it all down interior in at my leisure today.

cheers mate.

98DFA05C-83E4-4E8B-BBAD-DDE810772856.jpeg

4E7AA6D9-6309-4FCA-973D-5C2D6CF2385F.jpeg

05609088-AEF3-40DC-A315-C3827CA100F2.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Pics

Is second gear the most prone to disintegrating?

I ask because my 2nd has the feel of a low frequency dentist drill when I am accelerating rapidly.  It has been that way since I acquired the car.gear

Edited by David Owen

@David Owen I think it can be a weak point or at least the thrust washer. But don’t look at my use and abuse of the box - it’s not undergoing “normal” use. 
Sprinting and hill climbing is worse than circuit racing I think.

but my box is an early tr6 box but I think they are all similar. The earlier boxes didn’t have synchro on first. But the others will know.

Did a couple of other little jobs yesterday whilst car up in the air then did a test drive. 
all good all gears work. OD works as it should.

will put some more street miles on it and then good for Anglesey track day a week on Monday with the MiL. That won’t be a hairy track limits day so really can be classed as more running in.

ready for Shelsely hill 14/8 and Curborough sprint 15/8

thanks for the support guys

H

4 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Did a couple of other little jobs yesterday whilst car up in the air then did a test drive. 
all good all gears work. OD works as it should.

will put some more street miles on it and then good for Anglesey track day a week on Monday with the MiL. That won’t be a hairy track limits day so really can be classed as more running in.

ready for Shelsely hill 14/8 and Curborough sprint 15/8

thanks for the support guys

H

Hamish, watching you video I noticed you change up into third rather than using second O/D. Thought at first maybe your box wasn`t connected for o/d second, but from your recent pics I see that it is. I know from reading period tests that it was possible to knock  almost 2 seconds off the 0 to 60 time by using o/d second. Have you tried it?

Ralph

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Hamish, watching you video I noticed you change up into third rather than using second O/D. Thought at first maybe your box wasn`t connected for o/d second, but from your recent pics I see that it is. I know from reading period tests that it was possible to knock  almost 2 seconds off the 0 to 60 time by using o/d second. Have you tried it?

Ralph

Hi Ralph

no I don’t use od 2nd just to get acceleration to top speed, my gearing is such that it would be no benefit. I use 2nd od for some corners to get drive out when 3rd is too tall.

3rd od is the same as 4th so sometimes use that instead as it’s a quicker change.