How to I prevent jack damage to the frame?

Here in NZ we have to get a Warrant of Fitness (WOF) for our classic cars every 6 months.  When we take our vehicle to our testing station of choice we run the risk of the tester lifting the car with a floor jack directly onto the delicate frame with no protection.  I take mine to a local garage, the owner of which has several classic cars, including a Spitfire, so I assume he's less likely to do this.

Nevertheless, my frame has numerous indents which annoy the hell out of me every time I put it up on my hoist to work underneath.

Does anyone have a practical solution to this such as fitting custom jacking point plating to the frame?

Gavin

16205384020630.jpg

16205384021431.jpg

16205384022682.jpg

ouch the lazy bastards !   Garages are surely liable for the damage they cause to a car while it is within their care.? 

In the circumstance I guess I'd have to resort to fitting decent sized load bearing pads 6 - 8mm thick to the underside of the chassis and then highlighting these as jacking points by painting them yellow.  Perhaps a photo of those, clearly labelled as a instruction sheet (plastic-wrapped) left on the windscreen might draw the mechanics attention to actually using them.    For boats we mark lift points for travel hoists strap with little arrows. perhaps similar might be used on your cars ?

Pete.  

1603467002_lifthere.jpg.035e5e081fe56837ebd0c23dade5716f.jpg

I doubt those dents have been made by careless jacking, if they had your chassis must be very thin. More like damage going over something.

Stuart.

3 minutes ago, stuart said:

I doubt those dents have been made by careless jacking, if they had your chassis must be very thin. More like damage going over something.

Stuart.

My 3 has many honourable battle scars…..-_- which I’m sure are as Stuart suggests rather than misplaced jacks, but I too carry a pad as per Roger’s post.

If those dings were caused by a jack i think you need a new chassis. I would trust Stuarts advice and put them down to battle scars when the car has been in motion. The chassis on the six is not super thick but you would not be able to put dents in it like most of those by jacking the car up

cheers

Alan

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Gavin

I normally put a piece of 150mm x 150mm x 12mm (or 18mm) plywood between jack and chassis

Keep it in the boot for when you go to the garage

Roger

Ditto exactly what I do, I do keep them in the jack bag in the boot

Thanks guys for the comments.  I've had a look back at some early photos and it seems that the damage was there when I originally purchased the car.  I'm not sure why they've suddenly sprung to prominence, but if there is one thing I'd replace on the car if I had the money to spare it would be the chassis.  However, the cost of a Ratco or CTM frame is out of the question at this stage, but a replacement in RHS may be yet be a project for my retirement!

Cheers

Gavin