Interchangeable tread anyone?

That's a good find, though how the tread stayed on if you had a puncture causing the tyre dia to reduce I can't imagine.

Mick Richards

19 minutes ago, RogerH said:

...did cars corner at speed in 1959 !!!!...................without falling over.

I used to have a 1959 Isetta bubble car.

That used to fall over going around corners even at a slow speeds.

Charlie

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

I used to have a 1959 Isetta bubble car.

That used to fall over going around corners even at a slow speeds.

Charlie

Ha Ha - snap

I had a Bond minicar MK F and nearly rolled it when showing an apprentice friend of mine how sharp the steering can turn - not a good idea at 20+mph and 90 degrees.

Roger

Fascinating article. I'd never heard of that before and a shame they couldn't (I presume) overcome the technical obstacles of higher performance cars. Think how many tyre carcases it would have saved from having to be made in 60 years, as well as the advantage of not having to keep a store of winter/summer tyres.

I found this article from Motorsport, seems some UK production was planned, I wonder if that ever happened.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/december-1959/20/revolutionary-new-tyre-from-pirelli

23 minutes ago, Bleednipple said:

Fascinating article. I'd never heard of that before and a shame they couldn't (I presume) overcome the technical obstacles of higher performance cars. Think how many tyre carcases it would have saved from having to be made in 60 years, as well as the advantage of not having to keep a store of winter/summer tyres.

I found this article from Motorsport, seems some UK production was planned, I wonder if that ever happened.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/december-1959/20/revolutionary-new-tyre-from-pirelli

You may have just hit upon the reason that it got no further in as much as they wouldnt have sold anywhere near as many carcasses.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, stuart said:

You may have just hit upon the reason that it got no further in as much as they wouldnt have sold anywhere near as many carcasses.

Stuart.

You are a cynic. Although the same thought had occurred to me...

A few years back we went round the Michelin museum in France. They proudly showed an example of the world's first tyres with a tread. It was for a bicycle and when the bike was ridden in soft sand or mud it left the word Michelin as an imprint. Thus tread patterns were born. The museum also stated clearly that the Michelin brothers copied Dunlop's idea for a pneumatic tyre but made them last longer, then easier to change and finally spent more on marketing than Dunlop, particularly in sport.

Mick