1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi David,

I have used NGK plugs since 1998 when the car got back on the road and they appeared to last well.

In 2018 when touring Ireland I found that a newish set of plugs would have trouble when applying power in second gear at low speed..

Fit new plugs and the problem disappears until 500 - 1000 miles later.

In late 2018 I fitted Champion L87 and they keep going for a lot longer (4000 - 5000 miles) before the same problem.

Back in late 2015 I overhauled the engine and fitted a Newman PH1 cam shaft that appears to work well.

Somebody posted on here a couple of years back that they had heard that new plugs have a thinner/reduced glazing on the ceramic and thus they do not like our wet engines. (anecdote)

Roger

Thats interesting  Roger. Do you have any idea how they fail? Most plugs don't like wet engines, particularly if the "wet" includes oil. I had a lotus twincam that ate plugs. Problem was too much fuel when the choke was out. Repeated semi-flooding on startup seemed to degrade the insulation.  A plug cut after startup showed them to be very sooty and even with much work cleaning they never recovered. 

Just spent this afternoon touring round some car accessory shops here and I have discovered to my surprise that sparking plugs of any kind are getting very hard to find, at least in my neck of the woods. 
Some stock a few Bosch but not of the right kind. Managed to buy the last 4 Bosch WR7BC+ (made in India) in a motor factor’s stock.

But then we don’t have Halfords here......

james

On 9/8/2020 at 4:00 PM, stuart said:

That sounds odd, I would check they`re not fakes as there`s a lot of them about.

Stuart.

If I had these plugs..no end caps, I would send to NGK for evaluation, stating where bought and when. I am sure they would be very pleased to help and protect their IP.

Like Stuart I have never had problems with NGK plugs 

Iain

4 hours ago, stuart said:

I never have any problems with genuine NGK plugs, reading above about the ones supplied without the end caps and the reply from NGK seems to show the fake plug  problem is still going on.

Stuart.

I never understood any spark plug problems,

the ones I use for my Nortons are pre war and still work.

Edited by Z320

There has always been the problem with new NGK (and Im going back a lot of years)if you were using them on a fresh built engine and fuel system. It was always better to use a set of older run in plugs as the new ones werent keen on getting drowned in fuel to start with. Once the engine has been started a few times and tuning roughly sorted then new plugs in and they would last for umpteen thousand miles.

Obviously now with all moderns using coil in plug ignition its not surprising that your starting to find motor factors stocking less and less of the type of plugs we need.

Stuart. 

On 9/9/2020 at 3:41 PM, iain said:

Brian

that is an interesting reply!

A polite way of saying yes  they are not ours?

Iain

I cannot open the file to see the answer however NGK themselves cover the point that their plugs can be supplied without 'terminal nuts' on their website, so plugs without ends are not necessarily fake, just one of their options.

https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/794/spark-plug-terminal-types

The HT coil lead on VAG cars which they list on the bubble pack are likely designed to go directly onto the thread which is a known way to connect on a bike engine.

Bob

BUR6ET.jpg