Apologies guys on a roll today this must be at least my 3rd new post 

just invested in a spot welder so does anybody have any suggestion for a good source (cheap!) arms and electrodes the ones I have seen appear to be made from  an unubtainium ,hens teeth rocking horse poo alloy coated in gold with diamond tips !

many thanks

3 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

What make of spot welder,Graham? and where have you been looking?

This site offers electrodes for £5-10 each depending on profile: https://www.sureweld.co.uk/spot-welding-electrodes

Nothing posh John it’s a Clarke 13T

Hi Graham,

have you got a good power socket to plug into.

When I tried to get mine going it kept popping the circuit breaker in the garage.

I then used the redundant cooker socket (60 amp) in the kitchen. This still caused the CB to get hot and pop 

My household CB's were 'B' rated. I fitted a 'C' rated CB and it worked OK      CJ Auto's   240V 6amp (apparently\0.

Roger

27 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Graham,

have you got a good power socket to plug into.

When I tried to get mine going it kept popping the circuit breaker in the garage.

I then used the redundant cooker socket (60 amp) in the kitchen. This still caused the CB to get hot and pop 

My household CB's were 'B' rated. I fitted a 'C' rated CB and it worked OK      CJ Auto's   240V 6amp (apparently\0.

Roger

Hi Roger yes I’ve got a 16 amp supply in the garage so should be ok 

Graham,

I installed a slower 16A “C” rated fuse (the automatic type) as Roger did, it never blew anymore with my 4 post lift, my 170A mig welder or my 2.5 kW compressor; off course not running simultaneously;)

The normal 16A (“B” rated I think) fuses popped in 1 minute.
Cheers,

Waldi

My ancient ACO spot welder has arms and electrodes similar to yours.  I just buy copper rod (1/2" or 3/8", can't remember) and form it myself.

But sometimes you have to get more creative.  These are copper bussbars for getting to a narrow flange with tall surfaces above and below it.  It was on the rear valence of a TR6.

Ed

SDC13567a.JPG

7 hours ago, ed_h said:

My ancient ACO spot welder has arms and electrodes similar to yours.  I just buy copper rod (1/2" or 3/8", can't remember) and form it myself.

But sometimes you have to get more creative.  These are copper bussbars for getting to a narrow flange with tall surfaces above and below it.  It was on the rear valence of a TR6.

Ed

SDC13567a.JPG

Wow!  Worthy of a Bond villain's lair!   

16 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

What make of spot welder,Graham? and where have you been looking?

This site offers electrodes for £5-10 each depending on profile: https://www.sureweld.co.uk/spot-welding-electrodes

Thats only electrodes, its the arms that get really expensive.Plus you need a good sharpener as well as you need a nice small tip or you wont get the right penetration.

Stuart.

7 hours ago, RogerH said:

that looks heavy. How do you manage.

Roger-- yeah, I think it's 35 pounds or so.  It's normally mounted on a stand so I can bring the work to the welder.  If that's not possible, I can either suck it up and wrestle it into position, or hang it from the engine hoist.

Ed

SDC13569a.JPG

5 minutes ago, ed_h said:

Roger-- yeah, I think it's 35 pounds or so.  It's normally mounted on a stand so I can bring the work to the welder.  If that's not possible, I can either suck it up and wrestle it into position, or hang it from the engine hoist.

Ed

SDC13569a.JPG

Shorter arms would help! I have loads of different length ones to be able to get in different places including ones to go round "A" or "B" posts, one of the best investments I ever made.

Stuart.

7 minutes ago, stuart said:

Shorter arms would help!

Yes, they surely would!  You can see that I had less than an inch to spare in the boot.

So far, I've been able to make do with the long ones.  As you mentioned, arms are pricey.

Ed

4 hours ago, stuart said:

Thats only electrodes, its the arms that get really expensive.Plus you need a good sharpener as well as you need a nice small tip or you wont get the right penetration.

Stuart.

Stuart any recommendations for a good sharpener Sealy one is circa £100

On 5/2/2020 at 4:48 PM, Graham said:

Stuart any recommendations for a good sharpener Sealy one is circa £100

If its the ratchet one then its the best one to use, at one time there was a knock off version for about £35 but I havent seen one since unfortunately.

Stuart.