1965 TR4A progress and restoration

Spent some time on the 4A today in the cold :) Started to chip away some of the body filler so I can get to the screws. 40 year old body filler seems to have held up okayish.

Edited by Jase
  • Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TBH it looks like a pretty good basis to start with, the dent your on about in the arch is supposed to be there and you are missing the wing beadings on top of front and rear wings. The dash you have

Jase, I know these are strange times but I also live in Bridgend and have a 1962 TR4 and would normally offer you the opportunity to come and use as a reference or just a chat. Have you cont

Having spent quite a lot of time going through the car I decided to do an essential run today and drive it for the first time and pick up some petrol, just a few shots back on the drive and my essenti

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

B)

Looks Great Jase,  And I do like the wheel hubs.  Can I have a set of 4A badges please :rolleyes: as I'm likewise going back to pressed steel wheels.

I'm told the TR6 hood has velcro on its side rails and I guess rubber seals, rather than the fabric coming down beyond the door glass.  Your's looks much the same as mine, which I am told is TR6.  But what and where is the white strap you are talking of ?

Pete.  

Hi Pete, PM me your adress and I’ll sort out a set for you. I have a pair of these on the inside: although I guess mine are no longer white

66FDC039-69C6-4FB0-BE0C-48D84838CDDF.jpeg

Edited by Jase

Yes you actually have a TR5 hood frame. The straps are the webbings that are a fitment of all TR hood frames.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I need to replace this hood now, was wondering whether just to wait for the backlight and surrey but as I'm planning on painting the car a different colour (eventually) thought I would go with a new black mohair hood. At least that will go with any colour. I can confidently order this now from Don's hoods :) 

Cheers

Jason

Edited by Jase

Black Mohair looks fantastic when new, but be warned it does fade if left out in the sun for much of the time, and they do hold dust very much more.  The mohair tonneau cover on my car (not a TR) was used very much more than the hood, and it looked pretty faded and scruffy after three or four years. The hood lasted very much better ..but then it was rarely used in sunshine.  Dust and sap are much easier to wipe off vinyl.  That wouldn't stop me from buying Mohair again, but it may be a factor to you depending on where you might normally park the car.   A half (car) cover over the hood and glass ought to protect it though.  

Pete.

Edited by Bfg

Thanks both, maybe worth going for the superior pvc instead. I have a mohair on another car which is always garaged and that can tend to leave creases in the hood when folded. I'm aiming to fit a mohair surrey in a few years so may go for the easier option. Thanks.

The straps in my hood broke a couple of months ago. Their role seems to be to keep in position the arch just above the transparent “window”, as without them it goes a bit low and pushes on the transparent plastic rather than on the vinyl. I am replacing with normal straps that you can buy off eBay and will buy in black or grey (I never liked the white straps, they look like bandages and get dirty very easily)

11 hours ago, Jase said:

Making progress

28094ACA-B0E4-40F0-A2DC-C6A4F6B4A3E8.jpeg

You do really need to make sure you have the roof bars in the correct place to match the seams and also the internal pockets on the hood before actually affix the webbing.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

You do really need to make sure you have the roof bars in the correct place to match the seams and also the internal pockets on the hood before actually affix the webbing.

Stuart.

I checked all of that, just waiting for the paint to dry. The TR6 video was quite useful, wouldn't have known otherwise.

Edited by Jase
7 minutes ago, Z320 said:

it's your TR, but allow me to post here:

the tools laying on the car make me creep

:) I know, working car, needs bodywork and once that has been done this won't happen. However, I do love the car as it is, whilst it is precious to me, it's not that precious not to have tools all over it :)