1965 TR4A progress and restoration

That carpet is the front of the tunnel hence the heel pads, the foam is indeed white side down, be very careful with the glue as it can make a real mess of foam. There are lots of posts regarding fitting wheel arch covers so do read them as theyre not easy to fit and make them look good.

Stuart.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TBH it looks like a pretty good basis to start with, the dent your on about in the arch is supposed to be there and you are missing the wing beadings on top of front and rear wings. The dash you have

Jase, I know these are strange times but I also live in Bridgend and have a 1962 TR4 and would normally offer you the opportunity to come and use as a reference or just a chat. Have you cont

Having spent quite a lot of time going through the car I decided to do an essential run today and drive it for the first time and pick up some petrol, just a few shots back on the drive and my essenti

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Jase said:

Thanks Stuart, lost on the carpet, front of the tunnel? Does it go in front of the petrol tank?

Carpet fits like this

Stuart.

image.thumb.png.1984e13c5f73f9aaf60a39f872a99373.png

5 minutes ago, Jase said:

Thanks, got it, arghhhhhh senior moment :) 

The two at the top go on each side kick panel and should be hardboard backed

Stuart.

21 minutes ago, stuart said:

The two at the top go on each side kick panel and should be hardboard backed

Stuart.

They are, the ones I have just taken off were only carpet with lots of poppers.

Had some fun re-fitting new door cards :)

28 minutes ago, Jase said:

They are, the ones I have just taken off were only carpet with lots of poppers.

Had some fun re-fitting new door cards :)

Yes door cards are always fun getting the clips lined up so they go in the holes cleanly, unfortunately the backing boards these days tend to be a bit too thick and a lot more fragile than the old oiled hardboard.

Stuart.

5 hours ago, stuart said:

That carpet is the front of the tunnel hence the heel pads, the foam is indeed white side down, be very careful with the glue as it can make a real mess of foam. There are lots of posts regarding fitting wheel arch covers so do read them as theyre not easy to fit and make them look good.

Stuart.

I'e looked for tips about wheel arch vinyl fitting but couldn't find any. Any tips? Also do people fit underfelt?? I'm not keen as I know my car leaks but should I anyway?

Thanks again

Jase,

the trick with loose (ie., not fixed to a board) trim, whether exterior or interior, and that includes vinyl wheel arch trims - is to remember that many materials go softer and stretchier when warmed, and in the case of carpets and cotton materials, canvas, double duck etc., both warm and damp.  So warm your vinyl arch covers and smooth / stretch them out over the metal shape. you can use masking tape to help hold the pulled cover in place.  

The second trick is to use adhesive where it's not going to print through (ie. flatten felt or foam underlay, or else print through paint runs of metal that you're gluing to. So once the wheel-arch is warmed and smoothly stretched over the inner arch, and held in place with masking tape, the peel back one edge at a time and glue it down. Spray contact adhesive is easy to use, just by spraying it on both contact surfaces (you can use card as a shield to prevent over-spray on adjacent parts). Let it go tacky-dry for a few minutes and then smooth-stretch the cover down, smoothing-stretching as you work from the centre.  Don't try to over stretch the material, but just firmly and evenly smooth out any potential wrinkles.   In practice, the edges of those wheel arch covers are hidden by side and back trim panel and by the carpet of the rear deck step.  Because most of the cover has no glue on it, it will remain pulled smooth and not leave imprints where it's been handled.

Hope that helps

Pete       

The foam should be fitted in two parts with a gap for the beading. Glue the beading down and round the outer edge only of the cover that way its still like a floating cover. This Youtube vid isnt too bad to help you but they still got some wrinkles which you dont want but they tried gluing all of it.

Stuart.

Also read this thread where I described fitting in full. http://.https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/68395-wheel-arch-trim-fitting/

Stuart.

FWIW use google to search for relevant topics rather than the forum search facility.

Stuart.

15 hours ago, Jase said:

I'e looked for tips about wheel arch vinyl fitting but couldn't find any. Any tips? Also do people fit underfelt?? I'm not keen as I know my car leaks but should I anyway?

Thanks again

I dont use underfelt as its bound to get wet in a convertible, I fit sound deadening pads right through instead. Sound deadening pads

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 503.jpg

Tonys TR6 504.jpg

Just lining up, ordered those pads, thanks Stuart.

Guesssing the small triangular cards are for the section in front of the oetrol tank????

Thanks

J

D3A45C3C-2ACE-4D55-8901-CC1EB7C3EC25.jpeg

8B21C4E3-1381-40DE-88BF-6A07C03568D1.jpeg

EB10FAAF-A5E2-4453-BD1B-A501ADA3ED76.jpeg

B4538397-BA5A-4056-92C9-7FA15B4580EA.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Jase said:

Just lining up, ordered those pads, thanks Stuart.

Guesssing the small triangular cards are for the section in front of the oetrol tank????

Thanks

J

D3A45C3C-2ACE-4D55-8901-CC1EB7C3EC25.jpeg

8B21C4E3-1381-40DE-88BF-6A07C03568D1.jpeg

EB10FAAF-A5E2-4453-BD1B-A501ADA3ED76.jpeg

B4538397-BA5A-4056-92C9-7FA15B4580EA.jpeg

No theyre for the inside of the triangles at the base of the "B" post as the rear cockpit board covers the other triangles.

Stuart.

photo1755.jpg

On 4/28/2022 at 8:27 PM, Jase said:

do people fit underfelt??  I'm not keen as I know my car leaks but should I anyway?

If it's of interest, I can say that I'll be fitting underfelt over the tunnel of my car, on the back shelf and over the petrol tank. The latter can be seen < here

I've chosen to use underfelt over and around the petrol tank ..in that it may contribute to the noise barrier between the occupants and the noises (tyre and panel drum, and those emanating from the exhaust) resonating around within a boot.  I also hope it may minimise the rate of condensation (a cold tank inside a warm car and sun-warmed boot).  Felt is good to slow down the transfer of heat and yet at the same time allows humidity to pass (..when it is used on near-vertical surfaces).    

Underfelt over the gearbox and prop-shaft tunnel not only dulls noise, but also give the carpets a thickness which feels pleasant to touch or rest ones leg against. In addition it very much helps isolate person or persons from any vibration carried through those body panels.   

I'll not be fitting felt under the floor mats in this car* though, as prior experience suggests it can and will hold moisture ..when laid flat on a horizontal surface.  Moisture of course can come from wet shoes, not getting the roof on in time, from that roof and its fit not being 101% water tight, or perhaps even an occasional drip from the air-intake plenum or passed the windscreen seals.  

I used underfelt under the floor mats in my old Jaguar S-type saloon, which was water tight.  However those mats and their underfelt pads were cut and lift-a-dot fitted to take out very easily.  Primarily this was for easy cleaning, but also for drying should they get wet. 

Pete.  

Good call Pete, I have a new alloy tank to fit and it would be a good time to do this, I’ll order some from Woollies.

Edited by Jase
10 hours ago, Jase said:

Good call Pete, I have a new alloy tank to fit and it would be a food time to do this, I’ll order some from Woollies.

..others of course may question the soundness of my reasoning !

Well, I've gone with both suggestions and ordered the pads and an underfelt kit which I'm going to cut up to use under the tank etc. No point putting it in the front footwells as my plenums leak at the moment and I tend to use the car in all weather.

Answer to both you Jase and you Pete is fit a firewall in front of the tank before you go much further you know it makes sense.

Stuart.

IMG_5054.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 11:53 AM, stuart said:

I dont use underfelt as its bound to get wet in a convertible, I fit sound deadening pads right through instead. Sound deadening pads

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 503.jpg

Tonys TR6 504.jpg

These mats are fantastic, underlay, cardboard cover for the handbrake cables and new side lights arrived today, next job :)

Another productive day, passenger side carpet and rear deck all done as well as the infamous glovebox. Softtop frame back on, seats in next, just need to remember what Rich said about fitting the runners :)

107BDF8C-8EA2-4E30-9009-B07793FFA42C.jpeg

6EE671A7-6120-4DD1-848B-D76B01594619.jpeg

8CC9D06E-ED41-4BF3-9CF6-028428B99BBA.jpeg

FEDA411C-2909-445C-80A0-176A80CC7819.jpeg