Forum Access (from Le Mans 66 Thread)

It is easy to get access to the full forum and the members only section of the website including technical articles, videos plus all the back issues of the award winning TR Action magazine and lots more at: https://www.tr-registershop.co.uk/membership-11-c.asp

To get the most out of your car, join the club and help support this forum and your fellow members. Be great to welcome you as one of many International members.

Mick

Hi Mick,

thank you for your friendly invitation and ideed this could be a good idea - I think about it.

But what I already did on another forum, and never want to do again, is to write something in a closed forum.

This is all lost for common readers and is not what I expect from a club of enthusiasts at the internet: free information for everyone.

Sorry me, Marco

• 3 months later...
On 12/17/2019 at 7:02 AM, Z320 said:

Hi Mick,

thank you for your friendly invitation and ideed this could be a good idea - I think about it.

But what I already did on another forum, and never want to do again, is to write something in a closed forum.

This is all lost for common readers and is not what I expect from a club of enthusiasts at the internet: free information for everyone.

Sorry me, Marco

I take your point, but look at it this way, how much do you value the existence of the TR Register Forum and indeed of the Register itself? As much as members value your expert contributions, perhaps? Then it would make sense to support the Register with a small financial contribution which helps pay for the infrastructure of a website, and all the invisible costs. That's how I see it. I think it is democratic, and very generous, to have a free, open, accessible, Forum and democratic too to support it, I really do.

If it didn't exist, we wouldn't be able to benefit, for example, from all your engineering inventions and lessons. Not easy to follow, if you have little grasp of the subject, but some of what you say sinks in.

Edited by David Brancaleone

For those new or infrequent users the PM (Personal Message) system operates very much as an e mail between members and can be a very effective form of communication between forum members.

At the top right hand of the page  to the right of the TR Register banner you will find a bell and an envelope symbol, click on the envelope , a drop down menu will appear showing any existing messages you may have. In the top right hand corner there is a box which say's  Compose New, click on this which opens the message window.

A screen similar to your e mail screen will appear, type in the user you wish to contact etc and type your message. You can then send this directly to your chosen recipient, who will see a notification next to the envelope on the header.

If you have a personal comment on an individuals behaviour on this forum ,this is the preferred method of contact.

Sorry to teach you long standing members to "Suck Eggs" but we do have newer members who may not know'

Keep safe and be happy

Cheers Brian

8 hours ago, David Brancaleone said:

I take your point, but look at it this way, how much do you value the existence of the TR Register Forum and indeed of the Register itself? As much as members value your expert contributions, perhaps? Then it would make sense to support the Register with a small financial contribution which helps pay for the infrastructure of a website, and all the invisible costs. That's how I see it. I think it is democratic, and very generous, to have a free, open, accessible, Forum and democratic too to support it, I really do.

If it didn't exist, we wouldn't be able to benefit, for example, from all your engineering inventions and lessons. Not easy to follow, if you have little grasp of the subject, but some of what you say sinks in.

Hi David,

it would sound sensible to only have TRR members on the forum or for everybody pay to be here.

However over the many years that the forum has been active there have been countless non-TRR  people contributing excellent threads/posts/information.

The TRR forum would be that much weaker without them.

The TRR Forum is a shop window for the world to view us, to contribute to the whole and possibly join the TRR.  The OverSeas people very little benefit from full membership.

I agree with Marco in that things that benefit the whole community should be accessible to all.

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi David,

it would sound sensible to only have TRR members on the forum or for everybody pay to be here.

However over the many years that the forum has been active there have been countless non-TRR  people contributing excellent threads/posts/information.

The TRR forum would be that much weaker without them.

The TRR Forum is a shop window for the world to view us, to contribute to the whole and possibly join the TRR.  The OverSeas people very little benefit from full membership.

I agree with Marco in that things that benefit the whole community should be accessible to all.

Roger

Things that benefit the whole community should be accessible to all.

I see your point. You appeal to an all-embracing principle. It is a fruitful approach, to place the issue in a broader perspective and one which I applaud.

Actually, there's a good book entitled On Judgement (2009) by Luc Boltanski in which he reasons the way you do, Roger, specifically, when you proceed to analyze a mechanical problem, resorting to scientific bodies of knowledge.

Quite simply, like Boktanski, you too go to the root of the problem.

You and Marco base your logic, by appealing to bigger ideals. We can't see them, we can't touch them, and yet they exist and sometimes, abstract though they be, help us to make a convincing argument.

Boltanski says we can draw on a range of convincing arguments, which belong to sets of shared beliefs. So you have arguments and judgements based on family or clan thinking (let's have a feud), now discredited as "familism", let's give him tge job because we're kin or went to the same public school); arguments based on supposed "efficiency"; let's do away with British light engineering (a crime), because it's more efficient to... etc. "Common sense", we can't do these public works, because there's no money in ths kitty", (though the Gold Standard was abolished decades ago, and money has since become a virtual commodity, at high finance level). Or twenty years ago, that's just your opinion (the postmodernist "but David, there are no certainties, everything is relative" ie. relativism).

This way, Boltanski, like Roger, goes to the root of making a convincing argument, ie. the bases for judgement.

I argue, based on practical considerations, while also bearing in mind the broader picture, like ye, that the Register effects a delicate balance between free access, leading to beneficial growth, itself a value (and one which 100  percent GRATIS access would inevitably stunt) and, on the other hand, the understandable need for any organization to charge, in order to pay for its running costs.

If we then consider how little the Register charges, then that demonstrates how truly welcoming it is to enthusiasts. After all, it is not a profit-making entity.

Actually, it is a fact that non fee paying Overseas enthusiasts or, indeed, UK enthusiasts, also benefit from the infrastructure in place, which allows them to communicate with, learn from, and share their experiences.

This is truly democratic, open, welcoming, more so than what is apparently "free", I am referring  to the way most of the Web works. "Free" also translates into "I resent paying tax. To hell with blocked drains" or freedom can also mean I'm free to dump my rice in your rice-growing country, just try and stop me").

The general economic model the Web adopts means that the much touted "freedom" on the Internet and social media entails no exchange of money, yes, but more importantly, "free" access by the Big Boys to your private photographs, emails in gmail, for example, and data, collected and SOLD, monetized. So no, although this model appears to be free, gratis, for nothing, it's not.

I thought about whether to join.

Having lived in the Republic of Ireland since 2006, I am also, strictly speaking, an Overseas member. Actually, I still have my Italian passport and, between you and me, I'm proud of it.

I was lurking around the Forum since last November, but decided to (re)join the Register for several reasons. I discovered that my old and cherished club was still around, that it had an extraordinary resource to offer me. That it did so free of charge. That I could access the core of the content.

I also liked the Club as a collective, and a very generous one at that. It was good to me, even in the distant days when there was no Forum. It has already helped me tenfold since November. Of course I want to give something back.

Why wouldn't I pay my small fee?

Edited by David Brancaleone
Complicated needing careful editing

Hi David,

Wow.  Good reply

The TRR charge a commercial rate for membership and I am happy with that. It is not the cheapest, but is good value for me.

The Forum is paid for out of the general pot. Yes non TRR  people do get in for free - what a fine gesture by the TRR

The TRR also have stalls/stands at exhibitions and shows. These are funded out of the general pot. Yes non TRR event visitors do go to the stands and have a nose around.

Again the TRR put forward these fine gestures - but there is also the possibility that these free wheelers may like what they see. We may get them as members - Result.

Roger

On 3/20/2020 at 12:49 PM, RogerH said:

Hi David,

Wow.  Good reply

The TRR charge a commercial rate for membership and I am happy with that. It is not the cheapest, but is good value for me.

The Forum is paid for out of the general pot. Yes non TRR  people do get in for free - what a fine gesture by the TRR

The TRR also have stalls/stands at exhibitions and shows. These are funded out of the general pot. Yes non TRR event visitors do go to the stands and have a nose around.

Again the TRR put forward these fine gestures - but there is also the possibility that these free wheelers may like what they see. We may get them as members - Result.

Roger

Agreed. I would point out that the point was free access to the Forum, a separate issue, though related.

Free access to the Forum would certainly be encouraging new membership, though for many, the technical, indeed, engineering slant, might be daunting to newcomers. It is to me, but it's good to learn.

I think this other issue would require, possibly, new strategies, and qualified people, members, volunteers, to carry them out. All of which is way beyond the scope of this exchange, for which I apologize once more.

I wonder if that film is on Netflix?

David, RogerH et al,

it would be good idea not to continue this tangled thread, extract all your posts about Forum access and take them to thier own thread.

I'll report this to the Mods, to ask thme to do thisd, 'cos the alternate post changes of subject are "doin' my 'ead in!"

JOhn

• TorontoTim changed the title to Forum Access (from Le Mans 66 Thread)
On 3/20/2020 at 8:11 AM, brian -r said:

For those new or infrequent users the PM (Personal Message) system operates very much as an e mail between members and can be a very effective form of communication between forum members.

At the top right hand of the page  to the right of the TR Register banner you will find a bell and an envelope symbol, click on the envelope , a drop down menu will appear showing any existing messages you may have. In the top right hand corner there is a box which say's  Compose New, click on this which opens the message window.

A screen similar to your e mail screen will appear, type in the user you wish to contact etc and type your message. You can then send this directly to your chosen recipient, who will see a notification next to the envelope on the header.

If you have a personal comment on an individuals behaviour on this forum ,this is the preferred method of contact.

Sorry to teach you long standing members to "Suck Eggs" but we do have newer members who may not know'

Keep safe and be happy

Cheers Brian

Thanks, Brian, I'm getting more used to the Forum. I am sorry I picked up a point which did not stick to the topic. My fault, I think.

But I am glad my post was public, because the points raised are inevitably public. I think what I should have done, in hindsight, was say, interesting. I shall start a new thread about it. Which is what Tim quite correctly did. That is what I shall do, if it comes up again. Again, sorry to have made such a mistake.

5 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

David, RogerH et al,

it would be good idea not to continue this tangled thread, extract all your posts about Forum access and take them to thier own thread.

I'll report this to the Mods, to ask thme to do thisd, 'cos the alternate post changes of subject are "doin' my 'ead in!"

JOhn

Quite right, John. I'm a re-newbee, but will get the hang of this. It was careless of me, I think.

• 2 weeks later...