New steering rack

30 minutes ago, Robert Wilsher said:

I need to replace my steering rack..

my favourite supplier is unable to supply one as they are unable to source any of the quality that they would be prepared to fit themselves...

any recommendations re supplier gratefully received

rob

Hi Rob!

I bought a new rack from Moss 3 years ago, it was made in Argentina. The only problem that I have had with it is that the rubber boots failed in 18 months by splitting. Having worked in the moulding industry! it was plain to me that the compound used was sh---t!. But this is a common problem with all moulded parts for TRs? I replaced them with PU compound type and have had no problems since. The originals were made by a company called Cam Gears but they are long gone, I think?

Bruce. 

Rob,

not a direct answer to your question, but if your existing R&P is servicable, I recommend doing that. It is relatively easy (follow the WSM), cheaper, and most important: of a known good quality and will fit your car.

Waldi

I agree with Waldi. Some Years ago I bought a new steeringrack from Moss fabricated in Argentina, but it was called back by the supplier because there was a safety-risk with this rack.

I rebuilt my original steeringrack, and it is very straightforward, and has been doing very well since.

Cheers Tage

Edited by 15eren

Faced the same issue.

My rack was worn out with loads of play in the pinion so I thought I would rebuild it but I struggled to find the parts required so bought a new one which was built in Argentina and as above the boots look poor and I expect they will split. I'd like to still rebuild the original one if anyone knows where the parts can be bought.

Might as well replace the boots either way while access is easy as the shell is off the chassis who makes the best ones?

Andy.

19 hours ago, PodOne said:

Faced the same issue.

My rack was worn out with loads of play in the pinion so I thought I would rebuild it but I struggled to find the parts required so bought a new one which was built in Argentina and as above the boots look poor and I expect they will split. I'd like to still rebuild the original one if anyone knows where the parts can be bought.

Might as well replace the boots either way while access is easy as the shell is off the chassis who makes the best ones?

Andy.

Hi Andy,

There is a company in Birmingham called Kiley Clinton Engineering who recon rack & pinon steering racks that were made by the likes of Cam Gears. Price is £70 +vat. approx. I got this info from a Ford motor sport enthusiast, who has used them. I did phone them up to see if they can do TR's and the answer was yes. Tel: 01217728000.  ANS to your second question. The boots that I used were made by First line part number FGS3012, these are made from PU which are much more durable.

Bruce 

2 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Andy,

There is a company in Birmingham called Kiley Clinton Engineering who recon rack & pinon steering racks that were made by the likes of Cam Gears. Price is £70 +vat. approx. I got this info from a Ford motor sport enthusiast, who has used them. I did phone them up to see if they can do TR's and the answer was yes. Tel: 01217728000.  ANS to your second question. The boots that I used were made by First line part number FGS3012, these are made from PU which are much more durable.

Bruce 

Thanks Bruce I'll give them a bell not worth me messing about for £100.

Andy