The master cylinder leaked and all brakes failed. Fortunately close to home. So fitted a new master cylinder and start the bleeding process: undo the furthest nipple (rear nearside) and start pumping the pedal but the fluid does not come through. So am I right to assume there is a blockage somewhere? If so how to unblock? Any suggestions anyone?

You could check that the m/c is actually pumping by opening one of the front bleed nipples. If its working there then yes - a blockage in the line to the rear.  After that its a process of elimination i.e does the other rear bleed work ? If not look at the pipe and connections common to both rears.

20 hours ago, stillp said:

What car is it? Do you have the pressure restrictor in the rear brake line?

Pete

Hello Pete, Thanks for your response. It's a TR6 September 1973 CR Series. As far as I know it does not have a  PDWA.  Following other posts, there is no fluid from the front nearside either. So it looks like the new master Cyl is not pumping. I'll keep at it and thanks again for your reply. Andy H

These often need bleeding from the master on so undo the outlet pipes slightly and bleed from there on.

Stuart.

On 10/1/2018 at 3:15 PM, harrytr5 said:

The master cylinder has two separate fill tanks but you know that already. The bigger one for the fronts and the small one for the rears. There was some dodgy master cylinders around not so long ago and perhaps you have one.

Regards Harry

Thanks Harry. I'll see if the fluid comes out at the MC end.

Hi Andy it may sound daft but make sure you have plenty of fluid in the reservoir all the time, a friend was in the same position.

His car was on a slight incline and the front part kept running dry even though it looked like there was enough fluid.

Chris.