After the saga of replacing rear axle seal and EAZI sleeve and replacing contaminated shoes i am finding the the car pulls a little to offside under breaking. I cleaned all reused items i.e drums, springs, back plate adjuster etc, etc but I find that under breaking the car does pull albeit managebly to the centre of the road.

Is it likely that the drum that was contaminated is polished more and would produce this effect or is the adjustment or lack of the culprit.

BR

Rod

I take it you have discs on the front ? If so then something amiss there would be my bet, the rear drums only give maybe 20 % of the total braking effort . I realise all may have been well at the front and you haven't touched it but I would check there first.

If you don't find anything you could always glaze bust the near side drum surface ( giving better retardation) and ensure the shoes that side are adjusted the same as the offside or even slightly closer to balance it out.

Mick Richards

Hopefully this is a problem with the braking system,

but be aware that a chassis failure can lead to the

same symptom.

A minor crack in the chassis is not easy to find when

it only shows itself under braking but can lead to the

brakes pulling.

AlanR

Murray, this is on my 3A not the 2

Both front discs are equally polished but will remove wheels and check piston movement.

Unlikely to be sticking wheel cylinders as they are new but again a possibility.

Chassis damage again unlikely as the chassis is a USA one and only has a painted coating but when I can access a ramp I will have a visual.

I did tighten the rear spring clamps as the car has only done approx 3000 miles since rebuild. I got more than I expected on them. New spring pins and Superpro type rear bushes.

I am tempted to say that I may not have balanced the adjusters adequately and that will be my first call. Followed by the others.

OK, Removed nearside front wheel and found very light film of oil on disc and pads.

No sign of grease leaking from bearings and it smells of oil.

I had thought as I have the TR leaking syndrome that I might have a pressurised crankcase either from broken or sticking piston ring or blocked breather cap ("offenhauser ") rocker cover!

The other option could be the front carnkshaft oil seal which might make sense as this is ahead of the front brakes and the breather is way further back so not likely to flow forward onto brakes.

In the meantime I have cleaned disc and pads with brake cleaner and all looks well and the pad does not seem contaminated.

Thoughts on a postcard please?

BR

Rod

Possibly an oil leak from the centre bolt on the front of the sump......often people use a long bolt by mistake and rupture the aluminium block that covers the front main bearing...........oil then wicks its way out and distributes itself everywhere :(

Iain

Edited by iain

Hi Ian,

OK not definitive by any means but to check for a broken or stuck piston ring I ran a compression check and all cylinders are within 5-8 psi cold 180+ -190 so I do not think there is an issue with crankcase pressure from blow by.

I think the issue is from timing cover area or perhaps your suggestion.

I will get the ramps out and lie under and see what I can. If it is as you suggest and it seems likely and the fan is blowing a fine mist out onto the discs. Is there a fix other than ripping a nice car apart with all the issues that would cause to fix the problem.

At the risk of incurring the wrath what is the concensus opinion of Lucas leak stop as the oil loss is more than it should be! It may just be a duff gasket or crankshaft oil seal. Worst case is that it is a scored pulley shaft! Not a job I want till winter time.

If in doubt Easi sleeve the crankshaft nose and fit new timing cover oil seal

Mick Richards

Just a silly question.

When one fixes something you are likely to be overly sensitive to that specific issue.

So with that in mind....Can it be the tyres? Pressure or pattern?

Hi Irrational,

Take your point but the oil along the sump joint gives the game away.

In any case I've been under this afternoon and it looks as if the sump gasket at the front and nearside have engine oil.

I know TR 's pi** oil everywhere but this ain't normal.

Noter to self rebuild your own engines do not trust anyone. A real bummer but it could have been much worse.

BR

Rod