Creaking noise rear suspension

Could anyone give advise re order of checks regarding rotating creak from rear suspension.

While ago this would occur only after long journey,but now sometimes after only few miles.

Not a constant creak,as though something creaking every rotation,ie every 12 o,clock.

Can't feel any play on wheel bearing,but apart from greasing UJ and diff oil level,no other

maintenance done I will need to investigate before long run to Lincoln.Safety factor?

PS,brakes not binding,drums cool after a run.

Regards Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

have you tried gently bouncing the rear of the car. The TRailing arm rubber bushes and the spring location can produce creaks.

If possible get under the diff and feel the area above the bridge to see if the diff mounting pins are pushing through.

Check the chassis rails for any cracking.

Roger

Have the brake drums off and look for a shoe retaining clip that has come adrift. It rubs against the drum and makes a creaking squeaking sound every revolution.

Sorry just read your post properly ???? ref rotating creak, just read mine only if your interested.

Ive had a couple of random knocks over the years. I have a telescopic conversion with an early bracket that uses the location points for the lever arm units. I.e. just two bolts. They had a habit of coming loose, until Manvers Triumph torqued them up suitably tight.

More recently my rubber trailing arm bushes have come to the end of their life. Random knocks were the order of the day. Given they were absolutely knackered, Im surprised a drum solo wasnt in play. Replaced with the polybush variety, feels like a new car!

Edited by Trever the rever

Thanks guys,

I too have Gaz tele shocks onto mounts for lever arms,longer bolts with nylocs on,sorted that.

TA,s have red poly bush's.

Hopefully get time tomorrow to check suggestions,or Lincoln in boring euro box.

Always a little nervous re strange creaks.

Regards Malcolm.

For a long time had a creaking noise, just by chance when changing bushes notice that one of the springs was misplaced and rubing the aluminion, check for shining aluminion

Malcolm,

I had a creak from rear which took me a while to locate, turned out to be a cracked diff mount.

michael

Me too. Not a expensive repair.

+1

I had creaking from the trailing arm bolts as they had gone rusty, which took me a long time to locate. I removed these replaced with new but this time used copper grease on the shanks. This solved the problem, therefore there is a case to make sure that the sleeves in the bushes are s/s and not m/s.

Bruce.

Thanks again for suggestions,

Have not had the chance to investigate,Lincoln in family car

Only hoping with the creak every rotation of rear wheel it might be brakes related/uj/prop.

If bushes or mounts would the creak only occur when hitting over uneven surface?

Well I am no expert,but all your suggestions will surely help me locate the culprit.

Hopefully cu all at Lincoln,enjoy.

Regards Malcolm.