There have been a few posts on here re misfiring, poor running and various break downs.

Down here in Australia we often drive long distances in our sidescreen TRs with little prospect of finding support in the country. Last year our National meet was in Tasmania which meant a 4,800km tour for us Sydney natives and much further for the members from Brisbane and points north. As any of you who have been here will know it can be a long way between drinks down here, even longer to any support for our wee beasties.

I carry a fairly extensive list of spares and tools which I used once on the Tasmania tour, a condensor, to keep my TR2 going. Other members used 5 other spares items I was carrying. We all like to be able to help others out but giving up your spare coil or carbie float needle or whatever means you are then vulnerable.

I drew up a list of spares I encourage our members to carry on longer trips. I thought some owners on here might find it useful.

I carry the less often used items behind the fuel tank cover in the boot, some in the spare wheel compartment and the rest in tupperware containers in the boot. If I have a Lockheed axle car on a tour, my long door being restored is still Lockheed, a spare axle can fit in the boot and maybe behind the cover.

They don't take up much room and will get you out of nearly every breakdown. With things like high tension leads, fit them to the new dizzie cap to save time in the rain or with trucks belting past at high speed.

Ignition - The usual cause of a fail to proceed is ignition related.

Plugs

Plug and high tension leads (have them fitted to the distributor cap)

Distributor cap

Rotor button (2) for your DM2 or 25D4 dizzy

Points (if fitted)

Condensor Bosch (2) GL103-c (if fitted)

Spare electronic ignition (if fitted)

Coil

Engine

Carbie needle and seat (for the float bowl)

Manifold gaskets

Rocker cover gasket

Head gasket

Top radiator hose

Fuel pump kit, or equivalent if alternative pump fitted

A litre of engine oil (can be used in gearbox if needed to top up).

Coolant (best in concentrate form)

Form a gasket or equivalent

A length of rubber fuel hose

Electrical

Globes for all lights

Thermal fan switch (if fitted)

A two way (on/off) switch (if a dashboard switch fails you can rig something up to keep going)

A three way switch to jury rig an indicator switch

Wiper blade/s

Electrical tape (get quality stuff, the cheap stuff will break and won’t do the job properly)

Electrical connectors

Suspension/Steering/Brakes

Front wheel bearings (good 2nd hand will get you out of trouble but new is better)

A hub with bearing cones fitted will save much time and angst if a bearing cone has welded itself to the old hub (Getting the bearing off the axle is another problem)

Front hub retaining nut and D washer (they can get lost if a wheel departs company with the car or in a roadside repair in the dirt)

Brake fluid

Tyre valve

Tubes if fitted. They aren’t readily available in the right sizes.

Various

Nuts, bolts, washers and screws

Fibre washers

Split pins

Thread tape

Rainex (for cleaning windscreen when the wipers stop working)

Brilliant!

4800kms... Put things in perspective! I am currently looking at Google Maps frowning upon the fact that I have to drive 1000 kms with the CR-V + boat trailer on the German Autobahn heading for the old town of Rostock. All I take is a spare wheel for the trailer! I will keep my big mouth shut.

Menno

Hi John,

I would add 1 additional spare to your list.

A spare float for for your carbs.

The low grades of petrol + additives added these days to petrol are corroding the fragile carb floats.

Had a 2nd example of this carb float failure here in Ireland earlier this month with an overseas 3A on tour here.

We supplied him with a spare float ensuring his motoring holiday wasn't ruined.

Hope to meet with you in Dublin next month...

Happy TR-ing,

PaTRick.

Excellent list - especially for a long (very long) journey, but useful for almost anything more than a run to the local. REALLY good to have a list from real-world experience of serious long-distance touring.

I'll add that hub nut/d-washer to my kit before I drop them and they roll into the long grass... Good idea!! If you don't have wires/centre lock wheels, a spare set of wheel nuts are necessary, for the same reason.

My additions for long trips over here are

- fan belt (I'm guessing you have one too, John - you are clearly well prepared!)

- brake pads

- brake hose

- spare fuel pump (instead of a kit - faster to fix at roadside ;-) )

I find that the "bodge something together to keep going" stuff is useful - if only from a peace of mind perspective. I carry some baling wire (to tie things on - especially exhausts), various goo's and two-pack fillers/sealers/instant weld type things.

Good for you, John. 4800 kilometers is daunting. Over here, I rely on my cell phone rather than spares but you probably don't have service in much of your trip, nor help nearby.

I think that most of my failures have been electrical so in addition to the electrical spares listed, I might consider a spool of primary wire, fused jumper wires with alligator clips, and additional in line and bus fuses, Perhaps generator brushes and in the oils category, a bottle of brake fluid.

Tom

Hi John,

I would add 1 additional spare to your list.

A spare float for for your carbs.

The low grades of petrol + additives added these days to petrol are corroding the fragile carb floats...

Alternatively, convert to fuel-resistant closed-cell foam floats, like the Burlen/SU Stay-Up floats in my carbs.

http://sucarb.co.uk/float-chambers-spares/floats/t2-floats/stayup-float-kit-t2.html

aue-898.jpg