Have an aging group member who is starting to have a little difficulty in engaging the fly off handbrake on his '62 TR 4.

Chatting , we were wondering about fitting a transmission tunnel handbrake, as per 4A's etc, and furthermore not making it flyoff,

- not as per 4A's etc.

So thinking about what, on the face of it would seem simple enough, Mini handbrake assembly, fabricated housing etc,

and suitable cabling, can any one see any pitfalls?

Anyone done the job?

Any thoughts?

John.

Hi John,

Have you considered a hydraulic handbrake as used in Rally cars. Probably less effort, pipe work easy install. Used in drift cars and kits readily available.

I appreciate that the car no longer needs an MOT. However, for MOT purposes, it needs a separate system for the handbrake and hydraulic does not fulfil this requirement. I’d hate there to be a problem and for the car to be found not road legal/worthy.

Revington TR supply kits to do exactly what you describe as the possible solution. Not cheap, but it’s an off the shelf kit that works.

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr4394-2k/name/kit-tunnel-handbrake-tr2-4-non-fly-off

David

Failing that, making your own will not be terribly difficult. I have a secondhand handbrake tunnel available. It has the required original 4a onwards handbrake lever mount. I don’t think I have a lever, but getting hold of one from a TR6 or spitfire shouldn’t be difficult. You will need to get a cable made as you will need a single cable on a TR4, later cars had a pair. You will probably also need to find a bracket to attach the cable to the handbrake lever, but that should be really easy.

Let me know if you are interested in the handbrake tunnel. I can have a look for a lever too.

David

I have just done this to a TR4 for a mate.I bought the necessary parts off of TR Bitz including twin cables.Made up brackets (with the help of Dan) on the rear axle to support the handbrake cables.This was then all welded in.Works really well and he is pleased with it.I forgot to take photos but could rectify that in due course. Just PM me your email address.

Regards Harry

I have an used lever assembly with the tunnel bracket from a GT6 if interested. It is not fly off type.

Yours for GB £ 15.00 plus postage.

Pm if interested

Peter W

John

I recently removed a partially installed new Revington handbrake kit on an unfinished project 62 TR4 that I have acquired .

It is basically a lever , mounting bracket and single cable to the original compensator. I have refitted the standard handbrake as I can cope with stated issues and I prefer the mechanical advantage of the original emergency lever system

I will get round to advertising it for sale at about half new price but if you dont get sorted and your interested please send me a PM.

Best regards

Rog

On the TR4, having the handbrake lever mounted on the prop. shaft tunnel brings the handle quite close to the backward sloping gear lever. This, I think, was the reason that, on the Works' Rally TR4s, the gear lever rose vertically upwards, but with a zig-zag in the middle. This also brought the end of the gear lever much closer to the left side of the steering wheel.

There is slightly reduced mechanical advantage with the prop. shaft mounted handbrake, but this can be compensated by changing the operating levers at the backplates (see my article in TR Action 295, January 2017). In addition, one can move the cable's connection to the handbrake lever somewhat closer to the fulcrum, thus increasing the lever's mechanical advantage.

BTW, a hydraulic handbrake does not share any of the hydraulic circuitry used by the footbrake - it is a completely independent system with its own master cylinder.

Ian Cornish