The long door TR2 is back home

The body work is superb with thanks to Darryl Carthew of The Classic Factory, Smithfield.
The plan is to build it over the next 15 months or so! First will be the brake and clutch hydraulics, lights, brightwork and wiring loom. Upholstery, carpets next then weather equipment.
It would be good to have it back on the road by the end of 2019.post-9306-0-01875600-1527158938_thumb.jpg

Looks great.

And look at all that space to work in !!

Envy of that Luxury

Good luck and enjoy.

H

Looks nice, John.

How many spokes on those wire wheels? Looks like a lot more than an early TR2 would have had.

Looks nice, John.

How many spokes on those wire wheels? Looks like a lot more than an early TR2 would have had.

They are 60s Don. Came with the car, and have 595 Roadspeed tyres fitted.

I am looking for a set of 48 spokes but not with a great deal of enthusiasm. The 60s look the part and I have a set of 5 original steel wheels with hubcaps that will be shod with radials for driving on.

If I can get a set of 48s in suitable condition, or get new ones for a reasonable price, I will transfer the Roadspeeds to them and use them for show only. I'll then sell the 60 spokers.

I have to get it assembled first and do more significant items like replace the high port head and carbies with a low port and 1 1/2"SUs.

post-9306-0-71710000-1527231542_thumb.jpg

Looks great.
And look at all that space to work in !!
Envy of that Luxury

Good luck and enjoy.
H

Oh were it so. The long door will be turned sideways and squeezed in in front of where it is to fit the family car in behind.

The other side of the garage has our other two TRs.post-9306-0-71710000-1527231542_thumb.jpg

Yes, youre right, Jihn they look the part. I run new 60-spoke wheels on my late car, which are of course correct for that period. (72-spoke wheels look funny on early cars to my eyes.) 165/80-15 Vredestein Sprint Classic tyres.

For a spare, its a reconditioned 48-spoke 4-inch wheel with 155 tyre to help it fit in the well.

Edited by Don H.

Whatever you do, John, no matter how early the car or your concern for originality, do not swap the 60s for 48s. 48s are not really up to the job, and l'd even argue that they are not safe for long-term, serious road use. 60s are, and they look great, while still not OTT.

As Don says, a 48 will do as a 'space-saver' spare for short-term, get-you-home use.

Tim.

Whatever you do, John, no matter how early the car or your concern for originality, do not swap the 60s for 48s. 48s are not really up to the job, and l'd even argue that they are not safe for long-term, serious road use. 60s are, and they look great, while still not OTT.

As Don says, a 48 will do as a 'space-saver' spare for short-term, get-you-home use.

Tim.

I agree. 48 spokes if I get them would be used purely for display to represent the car as it was when it left the factory. As the 60s do look the part, I am in no hurry to spend $$ on 48s.

My other TR2, the BRG one in the photo above, had 48 spokes for 35 years and broken spokes were a regular problem. It now has chrome 60 spokes with 165-80 tyres, and a 48 with a 155/15 for the spare.

That car is my daily driver and covers many miles each year around Sydney and on long trips. Last October it did 3,000 miles over 3 weeks for our National meet in Tasmania. This year it has done a few 300 mile weekend trips and will do another 2500 miles for the National meet in Adelaide. And it goes to the shops, sailing club and everything else. The 60 spoke wheels haven't had any maintenance or problems.

The red long door TR2 is not intended to be a regularly driven car, it will be used but not for long tours or in the wet.

I bought the long door purely because it is an original Australian delivered long door TR2 that had a well restored body tub giving me the basis to build a superb example of a rare TR2.

It will probably be sold soon after it is finished, I can't justify having two TR2s and a TR6.

The first bits, tail lights and boot lock, have gone back on the car.

The paint is still very soft and even a light finger nail leaves a mark. These will buff out in the final buff but I don't want to cause any major damage so will stop at this point. I believe it will need 2-3 months for the paint to properly harden up.

We are travelling from late July until Late October so it will stay under a soft cover in the garage until we get back in November.

I will continue with acquiring parts and restoring original bits in the meantime.

No hurry!

post-9306-0-11216500-1527404471_thumb.jpg

What paint is it John?

Shouldnt be that soft in this day and age of Hardeners and baking etc

The local body shops dont have to wait months to build back up.

H

If its still soft enough for any marks to be made into it like that I would be very worried and I certainly wouldnt put a cover over it. The only paint I know that would still be that soft is Synthetic and I wouldnt have thought anyone was still painting cars in that even on the other side of the world.

Stuart.

If its still soft enough for any marks to be made into it like that I would be very worried and I certainly wouldnt put a cover over it. The only paint I know that would still be that soft is Synthetic and I wouldnt have thought anyone was still painting cars in that even on the other side of the world.

Stuart.

My mistake. The marks are just on the surface and come off with a light polish. I spoke to the painter and he assures me it is ok to reassemble, I won't damage the paint unless I do something silly, which I expect I will during the numerous jobs to be done.