Aluminium screen frame

You're talking about windscreen frame yes, David? They're definitely uncommon but not exactly rare. Usually from "middle" period sidescreen cars from my experience (although others here may know more).

Aluminum side curtsin frames are definitely aftermarket, as Menno notes. Often in some awkward folding arm design.

The only aluminium frame I'm aware of was for the windscreen. I always thought that these were fitted to earlier cars

because passengers were always hoisting themselves up from the car using the (alloy) windscreen frame thereby

causing distortion. Later TR's were fitted with brass, chrome plated frames?

(Passengers still insisted on using the frame to hoist themselves out of the TR!).

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Thanks for your reply Alan. A poor memory was making me keep my mouth shut, but I believe I too had aluminium stanchions on my TS61 series 3A. My excuse is that it was more than 40 years ago - and I still have the car.

James

Aluminium frames were not that common, far from it, the exception rather than the rule. Maybe 10%, or maybe only a fraction of that . . . . ?

I've seen them from the earliest to the latest screens, for whatever reason they seem to have been maintained in at least small scale production right through the sidescreen era.

The frame to which Alan refers was indeed accompanied by alloy stanchions, and by both bonnet and boot hinges in alloy - it passed through my hands on disposal.

Someone once put a lot of effort into producing alloy components - nearly 40 years ago Stuart Jenkins and I purchased a whole vanload of alloy stuff in Coventry, supposedly mostly TR parts. In reality most of it was saloon, and the demand for lightweight component for Standard 10s and Vanguard Sportsmen was plain zero. Most of it got weighed-in or bonfired when Jenks moved the East Midlands.

This stuff was all properly (and normally) packaged, numbered etc - it had been through the system. There was all sorts, from complete sets of Standard 10 door innards and fittings in alloy, alloy frame seats and runners, perspex glazing, wafer thin door cards and floor covering, alloy hinges and handles, handbrake, even bumpers, boot and bonnet, you name it.

There was a certain amount of TR2/3 component in alloy, some of which I've never seen elsewhere, but not the same variety as saloon parts.

At the time we assumed it must have been an intention to produce lightweight rally cars, the items all related to 1956 production as far as I can remember, and there must have been potential for significant saving on the small saloons especially, less so the TRs.

Cheers,

Alec

The frame to which Alan refers was indeed accompanied by alloy stanchions,

and by both bonnet and boot hinges in alloy - it passed through my hands on disposal.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

I think the alloy hinges were NOT passed on to you (as part of the

Alannids Cave clearout).

My recollection is that the alloy hinges were passed on to Pete

Buckles in about 1986 who used them as patterns to remanufacture

the hinges. I had already drifted out the pins, intending to replace

them with bolts.

So - anyone who has Cox & Buckles/Moss bonnet/boot hinges, that's

where they came from.

(Never did see them again!!)

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hi Alan,

in that case, the alloy hinges that I moved on must have been mine rather than yours . . . . . the Alannids Cave exercise did shift a fair amount of my old surplus stuff as well as your own vast accumulations !

I'd guess they may well have come from Jenks' vanload of alloy stuff, certainly a few of the bits I cleared came from there. Decades on it's difficult to recall the detail origins, especially when considering just how many items must have passed through your hands and mine !!

I still have too many items that I haven't a clue as to when and where they appeared . . . . . the left over remnants of other people's rebuilds, dumped in my barn rather than weighed-in for scrap . . . . . in the hope that one day someone might find a use for them . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alan,

in that case, the alloy hinges that I moved on must have been mine rather than yours . . . . . the Alannids Cave exercise did shift a fair amount of my old surplus stuff as well as your own vast accumulations !

I'd guess they may well have come from Jenks' vanload of alloy stuff, certainly a few of the bits I cleared came from there. Decades on it's difficult to recall the detail origins, especially when considering just how many items must have passed through your hands and mine !!

I still have too many items that I haven't a clue as to when and where they appeared . . . . . the left over remnants of other people's rebuilds, dumped in my barn rather than weighed-in for scrap . . . . . in the hope that one day someone might find a use for them . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

Could well be.

The point of my reply was to highlight the existence of

alloy hinges in addition to the alloy windscreen frame and

stanchions.

And - I too still have a collection of items where I have

NO recollection of where they came from!!

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100