Windscreen surround/frame

I have at last started to dismantle my TR5 project after its 37 year slumber and got all the outer panels off without any surprises or problems.

Thought that I would tackle the windscreen next and have hit my first problem!

I have removed the retaining nuts on the end of the frame spigots, loosened the nuts on the retaining brackets and removed the 3 bolts across the dashboard top.

The n/s spigot will move but the o/s is rusted into the bracket caused by a leak under the frame seal.

So my question is does anybody have any clever idea of persuading this spigot to shift.

I am dosing it up with penetrating oil frequently.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Tim

Have tried tapping with the nut in place to no avail so will do as you suggest and take the dash out next as it has to come out at some point.

Thanks John.

Easiest is open the fixing bracket up a little with a large screw driver, if you look at it there is a split section on the top half.Easing oil on the tube ring on the lower part and leave to soak for a day. You do need to lift the frame squarely or it binds up anyway.

Stuart.

Having got the engine to turn over for the first time in 37 years today I think I will put the advice received from all into practice tomorrow and not push my luck today!

Many thanks everyone.

Tim

Good luck with it Tim, you have had a reasonably easy ride so far, just a little tester for you,

I bet you are loving it.

Cheers,

Conrad,

Had exactly the same issue. O/s spigot rusted solid. Heat and extreme violence applied from below eventually freed it but thread was destroyed even with nut being left on. A right bar steward.

Alan.

Many thanks for all advice.

Will try a combination of everything with increasing levels of violence!

Tim

Use an air cutter disc 1mm cut the clamp lengthways open with a screwdriver and slide out the screen afterwards re-weld the slot with the clamp in place on the screen.