Silicone brake fluid

Guest 72 blue

There has been a good amount of discusion on this subject - if you perform a search in the forum you will find plenty of good reading!!

Trouble seems to be that there do not seem to be any definitive answers! It's all down to personal preference...

You pays your money and takes your choice :)

Brgds

In 1990 when I finished the restoration of my TR3A, I put in silicone fluid. I had changed all the hoses and rubber seals at the time. The only problem I had was in 2001 when I spent 2 weeks in the Rocky Mountains (10,000 to 12,000 ft altitude) and we bled the brakes to get the pressure back. I've driven 87,000 miles with silicone fluid and never had any other complaints.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

TR Register Member since 1987

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG

I have used Silicone Brake Fluid in our Gitfire for 11 years. After 7 years the seals went soft, feels like air in the system. I replaced the seals and all has been ok since. When I replaced the seals cylinder bores were found to be in excellent condition mainly I feel due to the use of Silicone.

One of the reported disavantages to using Silicone has been fluid compression, feels as if there is air in the system. The only time I found this to be present was when the seals were defective i.e. soft.

Just my own findings, the stuff work for me. :)

I'm going to do this conversion this summer. I have read all the info and I think the benefits outweigh the potential issues. My main interest in silicone is to avoid future paint damage after I refurb the engine compartment and servo which along with the inner and outer bulkhead have all suffered from brake fluid leaks/spills.

Stan

I changed to silicone, copper pipes and stainless steel flexibles several years ago and have had no problems at all. I think the brakes are better than before. The pitting in my old cylinders made me determined to change to silicon. I guess water got into the old fluid but this was probably my fault as I never changed it. No such problems with silicon. They work perfectly straight away after a winter lay up whereas I always had problems when using the old fluid and had to pump the brakes to get any feel to them after a few months of non use.

In 1990 when I finished the restoration of my TR3A, I put in silicone fluid. I had changed all the hoses and rubber seals at the time. The only problem I had was in 2001 when I spent 2 weeks in the Rocky Mountains (10,000 to 12,000 ft altitude) and we bled the brakes to get the pressure back. I've driven 87,000 miles with silicone fluid and never had any other complaints.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

TR Register Member since 1987

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG

I'll concur with Don's experience - I have had no problems other than at altitude - high in the Alps.

Silicon fluid, repeated braking and altitude lead to a soft pedal.

However I've never, ever had problems with soft pedal at sea level in spite of similar repeated heavy braking.

When I go to the Alps next I'll put regular brake fluid in but will happily revert to silicon after. (Doesn't strip your painwork when it leaks)

The other major benefit is that Silicone fluid does not take up water. Every winter one piston in each of the rear slave cylinders on my Stag rusted solid, even though the car was used throughout the winter, albeit rarely. Expensive in new cylinders.

I put Silicone in and the problem's gone away.

Ray

If altitude can cause spongy pedal when using silicone brake fluid, I suppose the only explanation is that small or microscopic air bubbles stay in the brake lines and pumps? Perhaps the brake pedal is a little spongy at sea level too, but the driver get accustomed to it and it is only noticed when it get worse when driving in the mountains. When silicone brake fluid was 'invented' (was it first used in the army?), it must have been very interesting to racing people, because the boiling point of SBF was higher than the best brake fluid of that time and it seems that the reason why SBF was not succesfull in racing may well be the bleeding problem. In racing, bleeding is often required because of changing of brake system components, and bleeding should be perfect in one go.