All kinds of stuff about crimping wire connections

Hi John,

they did exist but ST probably didn't want to know due to cost etc

Development History[edit]

According to one of the crimp tool manufacturers, the development of standardized crimp tools and procedures occurred on this timeline.[9]

• 1940's All terminations were soldered (Hard-wired)
  • 1953 AMP introduced Crimp Barrel Terminals
  • 1957 Cannon Brothers experimented with Machined Contacts with Crimp Barrels
  • 1960 Buchanan introduced the MS3191-1 4 Indent Crimp Tool with a Ratchet[10]
  • 1963 MS3191-1 was published as the first Crimp Tool Standard
  • 1965 MS3191-4 introduced by Daniels Manufacturing Corporation
  • 1969 MIL-T-22520 published and dated to replace all previous specifications
  • 1974 Changed to MIL-C-22520, and many Slash Sheets added
  • 1996 Changed to MIL-DTL-22520
  • 2010 Changed to AS22520

So what was there before solder connections.?

Roger

Tree resin was used to fix arrow heads possibly as long as 50,000 years ago whereas soldered artifacts only go back several thousand years. Not sure about crimps :)

Mike

Anyone ever use Weather Pack or similar connectors? Anyone ever solder them? I didn't think so...

Here's one done on my benchtop with the crimping tool for those. Original terminations on the bottom, Weather Pack upgrade at the top. I've been delighted with the results of these. (There are none on my TR, though -- those are simple bullet connectors.)

i-6qCwmSb-X3.jpg

Hi LJ,

did your crimped terminals have sealed heat shrink as per the video clip in the first post.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/section.php/205/1/heat-shrink-pre-insulated-terminals

These would do the job but look out of place oinder our TR bonnets.

Roger

Fair while ago. Think the only heat shrink around at the time you had to get from Tandy or such. the auto shops/mfrs hadn't discovered it.

they had discovered crimping.

On the boat the non tinned wire goes black for up to an inch back from the crimp joint*. (galvanic??)

* that's under the insulation!

Edited by littlejim

All right Stuart, I bow to your superior knowledge____but show me a TR6 with it's original wiring and crimped terminals!!!!

John

Memory fails me here but how are/were the Lucar terminals connected on old looms. Surely not soldered? Edited by peejay4A

My memory fails me too, but seem to recall Rists Wires and Cables, (part of Lucas) were soldering looms up to the late 60s, Hard to understand now the huge amount of manual assembly in those days, Shop floors in electrical/electronics manufacture consisted of hundreds of individual work stations. Wasn't really mass production, but volume production by individually making lots of one offs. That all went by the end of the 70s. As part of that automation process a variety of different processes were tried before being simplified to today's consensus. One I recall was made by Amphenol?. It was a heat shrinkable soldering crimp connector thing. A heat shrinkable outer sleeve with a piece of shaped solder in some sort of copper tube. You poked the wires to be joined in each end and then heated it. The heat shrank the polymer outer, gave mechanical fixing to the wires and the solder melted to make a good bond,

Recall as part of that process Lucas doing a study on the reliability of crimped vs soldered terminations,I think they concluded that statistically they could make good crimped connections more reliably than they could soldered ones. In other words crimped connections had a lower incidence of field failures due to manufacturing methods and process control, That's not quite the same as saying crimping is intrinsically better than soldering when both are made properly. Of course it would be practically very difficult to measure reliability of uncontrolled crimping versus uncontrolled soldering such as we do now , so we go with whatever we feel most comfortable with.

Mike

Edited by MikeF

All right Stuart, I bow to your superior knowledge____but show me a TR6 with it's original wiring and crimped terminals!!!!

John

Me I never said a word.

Stuart.

Anyone ever use Weather Pack or similar connectors? Anyone ever solder them? I didn't think so...

Here's one done on my benchtop with the crimping tool for those. Original terminations on the bottom, Weather Pack upgrade at the top. I've been delighted with the results of these. (There are none on my TR, though -- those are simple bullet connectors.)

i-6qCwmSb-X3.jpg

Don,

Your use of the crimping tool is perfect. I have the correct tool http://www.autosparks.co.uk/electrical-components/wiring-tools/heavy-duty-rachet-action-crimp-tool-for-use-with-a-large-range-of-terminals.html, but often make a balls of my crimps.

Can you offer any tips on it's use?

The insulated type I use everyday for work, but those are a piece of cake!

Regards,

Richard.

The principal of wire wrapping and crimping is the same: High pressure to make a gas tight metal to metal seal, without that the bond is not reliable.

Yes, either should be a compression weld. Another thing about wire-wrap is that the wire was typically wrapped 4 turns around the pin, so there were 16 points of contact. Didn't matter if one or two failed.

Pete

Hi peejay 4A

Yes all the Lucar joints on my car are soldered----time consuming I know, but at least they look original and don't stick out like a sore thumb.

I can't say that everything on my car is the same as original but I do try and keep those that are visible looking that way.

John