Alluminium repro fuel tank. TR4 through TR6

Hi Guys.

I recently purchased a Alluminium repro tank direct from the UK manufacture who supplies both Rimmers and The TR Shop for my TR6. Moss also supply a alloy tank.

I was very pleased with the tank which was claimed to be suitable for all TR's, 4 through to 6. I eagerly fitted the tank without major problems. However when I came to refit my spare wheel that had fitted nicely in the boot with the original tank, it would not fit as it jammed on the bottom of the tank!

Pulled the tank back out and then the problem was obvious. The repro tank was flat bottomed wheras the original was tapered up from the seam to give clearance to let the spare wheel pass under.

As many of you will know, the TR4 through 5 are a different body style and the spare wheel is slid horizontally into its position partly under the tank. The TR6 has to angled down into the boot and the pushed under the tank and droped down into the boot well, hence the slope required on the tank.

The tank supplied is claimed by the manufacture and suppliers to be suitable for TR4 through TR6. Moss also claim thier alloy tank is universal. all are flat bottomed. This is not true as yes it will fit into theTR4, 4A, 5 and 6 but not allow the spare wheel to fit into the TR6

Of course got the usual response from the manufacure and suppliers, that wev'e sold hundreds and your the first to complain! Spoke to Neil Revington who of course tried to sell me his alloy tank, but agreed that the 6 needs the angled bottom. I also checked out 3 other TR6's over the w/e and all had sloping tanks. To be fair the manufacturer has agreed to modify my tank to dimensions that I have given them, so all should work out.

So has any other TR6 owners had a similar problem with a repro universal alloy tank fitted in a TR6?

Cheers

Rich

Rich

I'm sure somebody else posted something about this a while back, possibly as part of a TR6 tyre sizing thread and a debate about carrying a smaller spare and the legality (or not) of doing so. At the time I was in the strip down phase of my rebuild and didn't really take to much notice, I should have done as I'm now on the rebuild phase ! and this is starting to concern me especially as I'm currently planning to run 185/70's including the spare. Is your tank the same profile as the one attached ?

post-7429-0-78853900-1493794432_thumb.jpg

Hi Graham,

The profile of your tank seems to have a sloping angle on the back which should accomodate 185 tyres. I use 185's with my original tank which has a dimension of 10 inches at the back from top to start of the slope.

Your tank seems very similar to the one I have in my 72 TR6 which is a Revington. It has the same mounting brackets. The one I have now purchased is a Alicool Ltd which is very similar to original and is supplied by the companies I mentioned.

However if you take note of Revingtons current alloy tank, it has improved brackets and is flexibly mounted to resolve cracking of the fixing brackets if the car is driven hard. presumably owing to body flex.

Rich

Hi Rich

I had the same problem with a Moss steel tank last year,when fitting to a 6.

The reply from Moss was that the tank was designed to around a standard wheel and tyre, as I currently run 195s that was the problem.

Further investigation found that most of tanks supplied by the usual suspects are of a similar design. So not altogether a perfect universal fit.

For the time being I have deflated the spare and carry a 12volt air pump.

Brian

I guess 195 tyres is a bit much even in a TR5 let alone a TR6. I can easily see a problem with that size not going under the tank ?

Apparently the later CR's and CP's made for export to the USA had a further modified tank to accomodate the 185/80 tyres specified for the USA?

Rich

Hi Guys,

And finally! After discussing the problem with not being able to get the spare wheel in the boot of my TR6 owing to the square bottom shape of the 'universal' TR4 to 6 tank supplied by Alicool, they had no hesitation to undertaking whatever mod I required to overcome the problem.

I marked up the tank with a line 10 inches from the top and 1 1/2 inches from the bottom seam to indicate the slope I required which was in line with the slope on the original tank. Alicool arranged pick up by Fedex 12 PM Tuesday, and returned to me modified at 10 AM on Thursday free of charge.

Fitted it on Thursday PM . Great job, A 185 tyre goes in with no problems.

I would highly recommend that if anybody want a replacement alloy tank for a TR6, go direct to Alicool, not the usual suppliers of this tank. Alicool now understand the the 6 is different to the TR4 to 5 and will be offering a TR6 version in the future.

Discuusing the universal shortfalls of the tank with the three retail suppliers drew a blank with the usual 'nobody's ever complained before' attitude.

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

There were 2 types of OEM fuel tanks fitted to a TR6 PI the 1973 face lift cars CR type had a smaller tank fitted exactly how much smaller that is a question that has never been exactly answered? There is a quite a bit of clearance along the bottom of my tank to the floor and the bottom edge facing the back of my car has a large radius in this area. 185 size of tyre fit no problem. Looking at the Alicool web page their date fit only goes to 1970? This may be where the problem is? So do they manufacture my style of tank?

Regards,

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

As I said above Alicool seem to accept that there is differences with the TR6 and if you contact them (Terry or Kieth) they will work with you to get a tank to suit your application.

Regards

Rich

• 3 months later...

Why a private post?

Something we should know?

Rem18 - nothing sinister - I purchased a job lot of Alicool tanks to get a discount as I needed some for the various restorations I have planned - I had some surplus ( and still have if anyone is interested) so was offering him one - simple as that.

My experience of dealing with Alicool has been second to none, as has been the quality of their work. Rich, who started this thread, was very satisfied with their customer service in resolving the issue he had, requiring a modified tank to accommodate larger wheel/tyre combinations.

Aarhus TR6 ( I wish you guys would use real names!)

Following Rich's tank modification, as per the start of the thread, Alicool made a number of similar tanks for customers by modifying existing tanks, prior to productionising the new version which I believe has now happened - I suspect they simply haven't yet modified their website - Nickffc who posts on here from time to time had one of these first productionised tanks and as far as I know he was very happy with it but there can be no harm in contacting them ( or him for that matter - Nick - if you are following this, maybe you would like to comment) - I may be able to help if you PM me

Cheers

Rich ( another one!)

Rem18 - nothing sinister - I purchased a job lot of Alicool tanks to get a discount as I needed some for the various restorations I have planned - I had some surplus ( and still have if anyone is interested) so was offering him one - simple as that.

My experience of dealing with Alicool has been second to none, as has been the quality of their work. Rich, who started this thread, was very satisfied with their customer service in resolving the issue he had, requiring a modified tank to accommodate larger wheel/tyre combinations.

Aarhus TR6 ( I wish you guys would use real names!)

Following Rich's tank modification, as per the start of the thread, Alicool made a number of similar tanks for customers by modifying existing tanks, prior to productionising the new version which I believe has now happened - I suspect they simply haven't yet modified their website - Nickffc who posts on here from time to time had one of these first productionised tanks and as far as I know he was very happy with it but there can be no harm in contacting them ( or him for that matter - Nick - if you are following this, maybe you would like to comment) - I may be able to help if you PM me

Cheers

Rich ( another one!)

Well Aarhus TR6 seemed a fun handle at the time . . but confusing as it is . . my name is also Rich! So do you have a spare tank for sale??!

Well Aarhus TR6 seemed a fun handle at the time . . but confusing as it is . . my name is also Rich! So do you have a spare tank for sale??!

Rich - I do have a spare tank but presumably you will need it sent to Denmark - - will PM you with my contact details as easier to discuss details there than in a public forum

Cheers

Rich