Windscreen fitting aggro

Not TR in fact but closely related Spitfire IV.

The car has been all the way to bits for a full restoration as is in the final stages of going back together. We are trying to refit the original screen but with a new screen rubber as the original was completely shot.

We've now had the screen in the car 3 times using two different rubbers and two different fitting methods. It's a really big struggle to get it in and once it is in, it doesn't sit right. It is as if the screen is too wide for the car and the rubber lip sits up and away from the glass up both sides and especially in the corners.

P1150851s_zpshrjf3svw.jpg

P1150849s_zpscqstqvpe.jpg

Only in the central 75% of the top and bottom does it sit down against the glass as it should.

The screen surround has had work but I'm pretty confident that it remains the correct shape and it matches well with the spare screen surround and also Mk3 GT6 we have to hand. The screen is the original Triplex marked one and seems to be exactly the same size as the two others we have here.

Prime suspect is the new seal. I've fitted a few screens over the years, the last to my 2.5 PI about 4 years ago, and I'm pretty sure they usually need a little stretching to get them onto the screen. The first one of these we had was very slack and the second is even longer making it positively baggy,

P1150853s_zpstmwacdaf.jpg

I suspect that this means there is just too much volume of rubber to go in the available space.

We've just modified one of the new seals so it's a snug fit (not actually stretched) around the screen. This meant removing 65mm of seal. When the glue is fully cured we'll try it again.

P1150882s_zpsawpfoucs.jpg

However, this cutting has also given the chance to compare the cross sections of old and new seal. While similar, they are not the same. Below pic shows the differences and these could also be significant.

P1150885ms_zpssbzb6ib2.jpg

Suppliers claims he's had no issues with the (many) seals of this type supplied.

Any ideas? Any good supplier experiences?

Thanks

Nick

I have used Moss seals OK.

Stuart.

Nick - I suspect you will know that If Stuart says

the Moss seals are OK - then the Moss seals are

OK - and the problem must lie elsewhere.

A very difficult/frustrating problem.

AlanR

They are a bit of a struggle to fit as they are slightly larger section not length, this negates the problem found in the past where the rubber doesnt go out far enough round the frame to seal properly.

Stuart.

I didn't get them from Moss....... They could be the same as Moss ones, but I have no way of knowing.

I suppose my main question is whether that much "surplus" length would be considered normal?

If we sit the screen in the frame without the seal the glass barely overlaps the flanges top and bottom but nearly fills the frame with-wise. I thought this might be the problem but our other frame and GT6 tub are exactly the same.

Nick

Fitted the screen again with the shortened seal this afternoon. Certainly went in more easily.

Shortening the screen has had a positive effect - the seal now sits more or less right round 3 sides, but one side, the second side we got in is still as before. Going to leave it a few days (in the sun where possible!) and see if it settles.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nick

I have fitted a new screen just this year, Seal and Screen from Moss. On the advice from the guys at Moss I put the locking strip into the rubber before fitting.

This was after cracking my first screen fitting the locking strip the Elin Yakov method i.e. With a mallet

Best Regards JohnR

Edited by JohnRoberts