Throttle Countershaft Bearings

The Moss catalogue shows three bearings (138490) on the countershaft (153978). Our car has only two on the shaft ends and there's no sign of the middle one having been there. Well not for 30 years anyway. What's the general view, should there be one in the middle or not? JJC

The construction for moving the spindle levers is one of the weak points of TR6

That is why they tried to improve with the CR system with two balancing pipes.

As most people are not able to do the radical job and boost the linkage to the

quality of a modern system its often claimed that it is good as it is.

Unfortunately any play causes a difference in opening of the plates as the bending

of the countershaft does, too.

Definitely you will have to run the engine a bit richer than required to give the

cylinder with the most open throttle plate a sufficient mixture.

Also the engine does not run that smooth as it could. A German guy, Ulrich Schaubhuth,

did a very good job modifiying CPs and people who run that system all reported big benefits.

Mismatch is done by the play in many areas, mostly in the spindles to manifold.

But also the countershaft has its influence. The bushings give some play and

even a bit more play when the middle bushing is missing.

Minimum to repair is to fit thre proper bushings where the one in the middle has

to be cut to fit over the shaft and its a bit tricky to get it into position.

Its worth the effort!

After that a carefull setup of the sync of the six throttle plates is necessary.

John. It is the countershaft not the shaft carrying the butterflies. So far as I know the bearings/bushes are original and have never given me a problem in all the years I've been driving the car. Just that putting it back together after the latest rebuild we noticed the middle bearing missing. As the second thread you posted said you can only put a decent bearing in if you cut the shaft. For a road car I'm just going to leave it as it's been for the past 100000 miles. Not only that when set up by the Landers it used to run beautifully. If it ain't broke don't fix it. JJC

I just replaced the original plastic bushes with the blue poly ones, and the adjustable linkages with the easier to adjust new ones, both from moss.

Fitting wasnt difficult, as above you'll need to cut the middle bush to fit it, i also applied a little copaslip.

The new linkaged allow relatively simple setup, by balancing the flow at idle with a flowmeter.

Very wothwhile job, i noticed a significant smoothness improvement.

Steve

I just replaced the original plastic bushes with the blue poly ones, and the adjustable linkages with the easier to adjust new ones, both from moss.

Fitting wasnt difficult, as above you'll need to cut the middle bush to fit it, i also applied a little copaslip.

The new linkaged allow relatively simple setup, by balancing the flow at idle with a flowmeter.

Very wothwhile job, i noticed a significant smoothness improvement.

Steve

Ditto

I did this with a little help from a Mate on my 5 and it made no end of difference to smooth running and good pick up :)

It will never be as good as one of the modified linkages with proper bearings, but good enough for me and didn't cost a fortune :P

Gary

its best to dump the end bushes, useless thingys they are,

Wot yer left wid is the end oft shaft,

get some brass or PB2 bar, drill it to the size oft shaft,

then attach thee,s bushes to the end original rubber bush holders

a few drops of oil noo an then works wonders too.

esp into yer throttle spindals,

this way, the shaft is held nice,n tite

M

As I mentioned in another thread, you can get "top hat" shaped oilite bushes that are a perfect fit (no modification required) and they cost less than a tenner

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Metric-Flanged-Oilite-Bearings-1256-c

These are metric sized I think you may need imperial, but they are all here. fitted the correct way round the flanges prevent the bushes from falling out.

Cheers

Tim