4 Synchro box into a 3A - a problem..........

Hi Folks,

I fitted a 4-synchro box to the Turk this afternoon and whilst I know the bell housing flange is 3mm thicker requiring longer studs and bolts, but I understood the overall length was the same.

Problem: the bolt holes on the rear rubber mounting block do not line up with holes on the cross member plate, it’s probably a good 10mm out. Apart from the holes not lining up, the rear of the overdrive housing fouls on the rubber block too – see photos.

I thought it would be a simple fix of drilling two new holes further back on the cross member plate, but the rubber mounting block will not drop down flush because of the 90 degree lateral strengthening piece.

It would seem the simple solution would be to cut the cross member and welding in a plate, then drilling out new holes cross member plate, but the cross member is tapered and probably won't take an extra 10mm let-in.

Has anyone fitted the 4-synchro box in their sidescreen TR, and if so how did you overcome this problem - does one of the suppliers offer a modified cross member plate?

14445090_10207767152671992_5647694343306

14495332_10207767152551989_1156382834152

14463243_10207767153192005_5353236595999

14479767_10207767153152004_8779706343681

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

What you need is the cross member plate from a TR4. This will be a direct replacement for your sidescreen plate. The mounting and gearbox will bolt to this without problem.

This item is not available new but you should be able to get one from the usual sources. If you get stuck, let me know and I'll ask a couple of people for you.

David

Andrew.

I did this, I actually used a Triumph 2000 box + 'A' type overdrive.

I had the same issue, but I was fitting it to a bare chassis, so that made things a bit easier.

I had to elongate the mounting holes in both the engine mounts, & the gearbox mounts to get it to fit.

The engine ended up about ¼" further forward than normal.

I was not aware that the TR4 gearbox mount was differnt to the 3 one, that would have helped.

Bob.

Andrew,

What you need is the cross member plate from a TR4. This will be a direct replacement for your sidescreen plate. The mounting and gearbox will bolt to this without problem.

This item is not available new but you should be able to get one from the usual sources. If you get stuck, let me know and I'll ask a couple of people for you.

David

Many thanks David,

The plate is now available from Moss (128055), so I'll call them in the morning and order one.

Cheers

Andrew

FWIW, Andrew, here are a few shots under my car. TR3Bs (all of 'em, as far as I know) had full-synchro gearboxes from the factory. My 'box is stamped with a TSF-serial number. I've not measured bell housing flange thickness, but maybe the pix will give some idea to those who have compared them. This one bolts into to my car like it was made for it (which it was, of course!)

i-8gDgKws-X2.jpg

i-8Xwg8V2-X2.jpg

I slotted the holes in the removable chassis mounting plate on my car to move the mounting point for the two mounting studs rearward by the thickness of the extra synchro. ...Which is all the TR4 gearbox mount plate offers but with once round holes.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

+1 Yep I did that, but found that I also needed to do the same on the engine mounts. net result was engine moved forward around ¼", and rear of box moved rearwards by around the same. I had by this stage gone narrow belt, & no mech fan, so moving forward was not a problem.

Maybe the saloon box is a tad longer than TR4 ?

post-12009-0-96201000-1475485979_thumb.jpg

Bob.

While you are at it Andrew, suggest you change the exhaust mounting system at rear of gearbox to the TR4 type, much better location, & easier to fit.

Bob.

I slotted the holes and trimmed most of the rear turned up angle so the upper part of the gearbox mount would clear the bracket, i also added a piece of 1/8 th packing under the mount so the OD would clear the forward part of the mounting plate. I probably should have done what Bob did and slotted the front mounts as well.

I have used the later exhaust mount.

Graham

post-10268-0-40702500-1475499960_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham Harris

I had the same problem and seem to remember turning the cross member up the other way and elongating the holes but it was a while ago and memory fades. I do recall it being a bit of a faff. I didn't have to buy any new bits.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent

Thanks all for the tips and advice - I like the idea of slottingarrow-10x10.png the cross member plate and inverting the plate to avoid the rear OD casing fouling the top plate of rubber mounting block and to stop it fouling on the horizontal strengthening plate, see respective photos below. This would be a last resort if I couldn't locate a TR4 cross member plate - hopefully help is at hand.

14495332_10207767152551989_1156382834152

14479767_10207767153152004_8779706343681

Cheers

Andrew

You've marked on the tape where you need to file to.....I think I might argue that a 8" or 10" bastard cut rat tail file and 10 minutes filing is cheaper than a replacement mounting plate - but there again I could be wrong.

Peter W

You've marked on the tape where you need to file to.....I think I might argue that a 8" or 10" bastard cut rat tail file and 10 minutes filing is cheaper than a replacement mounting plate - but there again I could be wrong.

Peter W

Probably Peter, but look again at the photo and the rear of the rubber mounting is fouling on the vertical strengthening piece - this will need to be inverted and cut if it fouls on the exhaust. If the TR4 plate negates all this then that's what I would sooner use, particularly if the original plate is left weaker because of liberating amounts of metal.

Cheers

Andrew

Probably Peter, but look again at the photo and the rear of the rubber mounting is fouling on the vertical strengthening piece - this will need to be inverted and cut if it fouls on the exhaust. If the TR4 plate negates all this then that's what I would sooner use, particularly if the original plate is left weaker because of liberating amounts of metal.

Cheers

Andrew

I understand your concerns, but think about the TR4 item. It must be cut away to clear the exhaust of the TR4 - same chassis cruciform and exhaust as TR2-3... then that is all you need to do on your existing one.

Peter W