More floor questions

The floor is rotten having holes where the carpet has retained water, but the outside edges of the floor are almost like new. Even the inner wings are perfect!

It seems wrong somehow to compromise the integrity of the structure by removing all the floor pan, sills inner and outer are sound.

I think another method would be to retain the edges almost all the way around, and cut the new floor section to rest upon them, and weld in place.

Anyone see any pitfalls in that? Would the technical team have an opinion please?

P1050337_zps79aikubo.jpg

P1050338_zps8gu4exar.jpg

P1050341_zpsumlphxef.jpg

P1050345_zps0e3nwnff.jpg

Edited by pfenlon

Hi Pete,

probably not the best way doing it but I understand your logic.

Remove as little metal as possible and try to keep any holes round or square with round corners.

Patches with lap joints are areas for corrosion so remove all rust and protect well.

Roger

Hi Pete,

A friend of mine did exactly what you are suggesting with a Moggie Minor and it worked fine. He cut back all the rubbish in the middle and placed his new floors over the top, traced around the hole and then removed the edges to give him a half inch of overlap all the way round, then self tappers to hold it in place and a seam weld around the outside. Once he ground down the seam welds it was almost invisible from the top. He wasn't bothered about what it looked like underneath.

Rgds Ian

Hi Pete, with the floors having lasted this long the metal is obviously good quality, so why not retain as much of it as possible and simply cut out the rusted sections and butt weld in new metal, if you use flattened copper tube as a heat sink below the welds then you can be sure of good strong welds to secure the patches, ... then, a bit of a grind, bit of paint and only you will know the welds are there!!

Cheers Rob

Pete

It depends on if the car is a keeper

Neil, every time I rebuild a car its always going to be a keeper, at the time I really believe it.

Sadly when its done, and have little to do with my time I look for something else to keep my days interesting, then I realise I don't have any room, not called Pauper Pete for nothing. (All donations etc etc……)

so I buy another rust bucket or whatever and the last project has to go.

Why she won't let me build the corrugated Iron double garage in the back garden I don't know?

Back to the job in Hand though, if the job is done well, it will be just as strong as the original, if not better. The edges where the panels will be welded were originally covered in seam sealer, so in reality when the underneath is redone with

the shultz gun again it would be very difficult to tell. I hope.

No I am not selling the Detomaso, you will have to buy one elsewhere.

At the moment its a keeper I can't get the sodding clutch to work properly.

Neil, every time I rebuild a car its always going to be a keeper, at the time I really believe it.

Sadly when its done, and have little to do with my time I look for something else to keep my days interesting, then I realise I don't have any room, not called Pauper Pete for nothing. (All donations etc etc……)

so I buy another rust bucket or whatever and the last project has to go.

Why she won't let me build the corrugated Iron double garage in the back garden I don't know?

Back to the job in Hand though, if the job is done well, it will be just as strong as the original, if not better. The edges where the panels will be welded were originally covered in seam sealer, so in reality when the underneath is redone with

the shultz gun again it would be very difficult to tell. I hope.

No I am not selling the Detomaso, you will have to buy one elsewhere.

At the moment its a keeper I can't get the sodding clutch to work properly.

Then repair it as best you can as there are not many as good as that to start with.

Pete,

While I agree with what has been said, you mentioned "...sills inner and outer are sound....".

One of the problems, I believe, is that sills tend to rot from the inside out. Certainly the case with MGBs, and also happens with the main rails on Herald chassis. (I've cut a fair few up in my life.)

If anyone knows different, I'll bow to their expertise, but worth getting a cheap endoscope and taking a look inside. If you are going to be doing welding on the floor, you wolud be better to check the sills from the inside before you paint it all up and re trim.

Charlie.

Pete,

While I agree with what has been said, you mentioned "...sills inner and outer are sound....".

One of the problems, I believe, is that sills tend to rot from the inside out. Certainly the case with MGBs, and also happens with the main rails on Herald chassis. (I've cut a fair few up in my life.)

If anyone knows different, I'll bow to their expertise, but worth getting a cheap endoscope and taking a look inside. If you are going to be doing welding on the floor, you wolud be better to check the sills from the inside before you paint it all up and re trim.

Charlie.

Note the correct tape on the inner sill :)

My '74 had the opposite problem--floors were OK, but the sills were shot. I saved the floors.

I only wish I'd had your problem.

Ed

SDC12971a.JPG

Not surprising with the weather you get.

I worked in Lincoln for a couple of weeks years ago, and remember getting stopped at a rail crossing whilst the train passed by.

It took so long I almost fell asleep, the longest train I have ever seen, amazing.

your doing a grand job on your sill though.