Enamel Restoration

I'd be tempted to leave it, Dan, following the philosophy that "something can be restored many time, but it can only be original once."

Were one inclined to repaint it rather than conserve it, I'd guess that automotive touch up paint in the brush applicator tubes might be a good option. The paints come in all kinds of colors, and probably one that's a good match out of the thousands that are available. They're pretty low viscosity paints with excellent leveling, because in their original application, like yours, brush marks aren't wanted. The paints are relatively durable, too.

Dan, I am with Dons first reaction on this......its patina, perhaps leave well alone?

Its a relatively rare car with great provenance, a sympathetic touch is probably the way forward.

Iain

Given the provenance of your car, Dan, and its originality, I'd be shocked sh*tless if those emblems were reproductions.

Hi Dan,

I've used Humbrol enamel paint on a repro Overdrive badge (until I could replace with an original, after mine was stolen), and it turned out OK. With a steady hand, I'm sure you could do it. However, your hub cap centres do not look bad at all to me, so like Don says, I'd leave them alone if I were you.

Darren

When I bought UHU 134 in 1975 it came with its original enamel badges and a reproduction set painted rather than enamelled.

I don't know for sure where the repros came from, back then I heard that Cal Sales had made some reproductions, and also that Monkspath had some original badge blanks that weren't enamelled and were subsequently hand painted . . . .

Cheers

Alec

When I bought UHU 134 in 1975 it came with its original enamel badges and a reproduction set painted rather than enamelled.

I don't know for sure where the repros came from, back then I heard that Cal Sales had made some reproductions, and also that Monkspath had some original badge blanks that weren't enamelled and were subsequently hand painted . . . .

Cheers

Alec

I could believe that Cal Sales made painted badges. Given that they were the real originators of the car and that any badges would have been in (or close to) period, I'm not sure I'd use the word "reproduction". Maybe something like "alternative" badges?

Another one of the parts from Cal Sales. Not related to the car of the same name, though...

i-P5L64gh.jpg

i-KQGL3Qj-X3.jpg

Edited by Don H.