Oil pressure at tickover

Depends on what oil is in there and how long it's been there, for a good quality mineral 20/50 (less than 6months old/3000miles old) then, as John says, 20/25psi, there again it also depends on your tick-over speed, the old drivers handbook gives 75psi at 2000rpm which you can set at the filter head.

Cheers Rob

Hi MIchael,

my newly built engine, hot, Penrite 20/50, 700rpm is apprx 20/25 - this surprised me and thought there something wrong. It runs fine with no oddities.

From cold it is 70psi at any revs.

1500+rpm and it is 70psi.

Roger

Same with me : put a low oil pressure light in at about 25 psi and it comes on at traffic lights but the tickover may be quite low at only 600

I am relieved that it matches the responses you have sent.

Thanks

Michael

mine runs at 60 when the engine is spinning the pump

when hot and at idle, as soon as my oil pressure drops below 50, the engine looks to stall ?

glad you got home last night mike.. the ol' school books do say 40psi at 2000 revs when hot. 75 psi at higher rev ranges.

hoges.

Hmm?, page 6 of my TR4A Drivers Handbook says "pressure relief valve set to 65-75psi @ 2000rpm with oil hot .. ie 70 degrees C" .... also, pressure will fall with sustained high speed use, if it goes below 30psi under these conditions you have a problem!!

Relax Michael, as posted above 25 at tickover (I use 700 revs) and 70 at revs through the ranges (anything over 1500 revs) and I'd be happy. I'd change your low oil pressure warning down to 15lbs though, that will still save the engine if the worst happens and prevent false alarms to you.

Mick Richards

Before I rebuilt the engine cold oil pressure at say 2500rpm was 80 to 90 dropping to about 15 to 20 at hot tickover now at start up its 60psi and never drops below 50psi when hot. Halfords 20/50 oil is used.

Edited by Damson6