Knocking noise from the rear end TR6

When on a flat road no problems but going over any uneven surface's the back end bangs on both sides.

I have changed the lever arms still banging , changed to spaxs on the rear, new bushes on the back end plus diff bushes/ poly type still banging.

Any advice please.

Billy

After changing all the usual suspects on my 4A it turned out to be the diff. After rocking forwards and backwards in gear over a pit it was obvious knocking was from diff. Just generally worn. Hopefully may be u/j's in your case.

Alan.

I don't have an answer but I do have the same problem - seems to be mainly the drivers side for me. Tried most of the things you have but no success.

Steve

Edited by Percy TR6

Excellent, there are strengthening 'kits' available.

Basically a set of shaped pieces of metal to fill in the open sides of the mounting brackets thus strengthening them.

Steve

OK - don't all laugh...but...

I was out in the car today and the knocking started as I went down a typical Edinburgh road. I sighed a heavy sigh and leant against the drivers door. The knocking stopped.

I ended up driving the same stretch of road 3 times, windows up, windows down, windows neither up nor down.

If I lean against the door, no knocking. If I don't, knocking!!

The door seems solid when it's closed - no play - and the window mechanism too. This is going to drive me crazy!!

Edited by Percy TR6

Hi Steve,

Check the door lock assy on the 'B' post that it is high enough.

Roger

Done Roger - high & tight. Can't find anything that would cause a knocking noise.

A tired chassis can flex on bumps, seen in the gap between trailing edge of the door and the B-post.

Edited by Peter Cobbold

A tired chassis can flex on bumps, seen in the gap between trailing edge of the door and the B-post.

That doesn't sound good Peter.....but if that's my problem, would leaning on the door make it go away?

Steve