mmmmmManifold engineering quiz of the day

The rough sketch below represents the extractor against the block (laid on their side)

Points X and Y are the bottom and top of the 'flange' against the head. The vertical distance between point 'y' and the point where the collector contacts the block is 260mm.

So Question 1:

In order for the contact point to be increased to say a safe 10mm between collector and block, i.e., increase the 33mm to at least 43mm...

(1a) what would be the necessary reduction in depth of the top of the flange at 'y' (my rough guess is 5mm)

(1b) what would be the necessary increase in the thickness of the flange at point 'x' (my rough guess is 2.5mm)

Question 2:

Assuming that point 'x' is not touching the head, but is away by up to 1mm (due to the collector hitting the block first)

(2a) what would be the necessary reduction in depth of the top of the flange at 'y'

(2b) what would be the necessary increase in the thickness of the flange at point 'x'

IMG_8514_zpsuy5ocxzb.jpg

IMG_8515_zpsqbx4sql3.jpg

Edited by McMuttley

Its just wrong and not very well made, send it back.If you try altering the flange like that the stud clamp plates will again not be level and will bend the studs and also not match properly with the inlet manifold.

Stuart.

+1 Send it back and get them to sort it.

Its never going to be worth the hassle Austin. If you correct this distance whos to say what the next section is going to foul against?

Unfortunately the required data for calculation are missing.

To evaluate the required space you have to rotate

the manifold around point "Y".

What you need is the distance of the point hitting the block, roughly 300mm away

(too much i know) and the distance "Y" - "X" roughly 60mm.

So when you need 10mm space at the block you will increase space

60mm/300mm x 10mm = 2mm at point "X"

Too much for milling the flange, as I said the tubes must be cut and rewelded,

only makes sense without warranty for the bought item.