LEDS in cr tr6 dash instrument ,gauges

Anyone know the type of bulb holders in the cr tr6 series loom .............. looks like 3 types to me

+ LED bulbs ~ would that be type 221 ? Also another question would the rheostat be redundant with LEDS

ie anyone fit dimmable LEDS ~ source for those? post-7690-0-87329500-1454858466_thumb.jpg post-7690-0-12447800-1454858457_thumb.jpg

thanks robin gwtr

Robin,

Most LED's operate over a wide voltage range and the existing filament bulb rheostat fitted to the TR would lower the voltage supplied to the LED's but not low enough and would make no difference to the light output from the LED. Even dimmable LED's would need a newer rheostat of suitable value, but I did not need to dim LED's great as they are.

Do not fit white LEDs, white light is not "coloured" by the lenses in the instruments. Green is best for instruments and then Red & Blue for the Ignition / main beam etc.

I bought mine Aliexpress about 50 pence per bulb (LED) including postage. An internet search http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/e10-led-bulb.html

will show some alternatives. Mine arrived about ten days.

When fitting bulb /LED hold the bulb holder between thumb & forefinger and gently pull the wire down to compress the bulbholder spring as you remove the bulb, the bulb will then be loose.Similarly when fitting relieve the spring pressure until the bulb / LED is fitted. This stops you putting too much torque onto the lens / glass which is very fragile after years of neglect.

Alan.

Edited by barkerwilliams

With the low current of LED's you do not need the power handling of the normal later rheostat. I used a 100R 4W potentiometer. This has an aluminium shaft, which is easily shortened, & machined to mimic the original switch.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43ca5ff08f

A 75R fixed resistor is used to connect the "lower" pin to ground. This gives good control over the range of the potentiometer from off, to full brightness.

Bob.

I fitted my dimmer resistor into the panel light switch hole, & used the same knob. so it looks standard except you twist the knob instead of pulling it.

Bob.

Maybe a stupid question sorry, but why are you moving to LED? I have TR6 since 86 and a stag since 96 and I do not understand the need. Why I should go to LED?

What is the ultimate benefits?

Regards

Edited by Marc R

Marc,

I fitted mine to the gauges so that I could actually read them after dark. I believe that it is also a MOT check that they are suitably illuminated. All my other lights are traditional filament bulbs.

Also I did not want to attract the attention of any police that looked into my car at night whilst being driven and thought the gauges were not lit and might pull me over for a little chat.

Nice to know (approximately) what speed I am driving at.

I suppose I could have removed my gauges, stripped them down cleaned, and fitted new bulbs, but for £6 I bought and fitted a set of LED's - the lazy mans option!

Alan

With the low current of LED's you do not need the power handling of the normal later rheostat. I used a 100R 4W potentiometer. This has an aluminium shaft, which is easily shortened, & machined to mimic the original switch.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43ca5ff08f

A 75R fixed resistor is used to connect the "lower" pin to ground. This gives good control over the range of the potentiometer from off, to full brightness.

Bob.

Bob any chance of a wiring diagram ? ATB Graham

Here is an extract from my car wiring diagram.

The wire coming from the top comes from the lighting switch, the resistor values are 100 ohm 4W for the variable, & 75 ohm 1W (or greater) for the fixed resistor. I you don't have the fixed resistor, then the LED's will turn off well before you get to the bottom of the dimmer's range.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Here is an extract from my car wiring diagram.

The wire coming from the top comes from the lighting switch, the resistor values are 100 ohm 4W for the variable, & 75 ohm 1W (or greater) for the fixed resistor. I you don't have the fixed resistor, then the LED's will turn off well before you get to the bottom of the dimmer's range.

attachicon.gifDash lamp dimming.jpg

Bob.

Thanks Bob

ATB Graham